Sunfish Inspected, Readying for Repair

sjmes

I finally decided to get my old sunfish working again. It looks like I'm going to need to do some fiberglass work, install some inspection ports and possibly do something with the foam blocks inside. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to install the inspection ports? I know there are a lot of opinions out there. Also, does any body have any suggestions on how to fix the foam blocks that are where my soft spots are? Also, are the spider cracks in the pictures just in the gel coat. I know you can't be for sure by just looking at the picture but I would love some advice before I begin cutting into her. Thanks!
P1010986.JPG

Attachments

• P1010983.jpg
    P1010983.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010986.jpg
    P1010986.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010987.jpg
    P1010987.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 45
My 1972 Sunfish had extensive keel and daggerboard trunk damage, repaired by a previous owner. He installed two ports on either side of the trunk and one in the afterdeck in order to replace the rudder with the new style. If you go fo the ports, I believe Viking makes a port whose cover only needs to be turned 1/4 turn to open or close (I have one on my afterdeck). It's much easier to open or close than the other two screw-type ports. Also, you probably should pay attention to how you install the rings, so that the cover handgrips (the things you turn it with, I don't know what else to call them) are either in line with the keel (straight fore and aft) or perpendicular (across the beam). Misaligned grip-things is just the sort of thing that drives me mad (call it OCD, I guess:rolleyes:)
Best Regards,
Brian

Brian, thank you! That would have really driven me nuts if they were at some crazy angle and I didn't even think about that.

I like inspection ports in the cockpit. I avoid making cuts in the deck.

I like the 5" Viking port with the bottleport water bottle holder--a worthy addition to the boat.

Back