Sunfish in the PanAm games

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Fortunately, due to hard work of the Class, the Sunfish will be part of the PanAm Games once again. This year the Games are in Peru (Lima). Thirteen countries will compete in the Sunfish class.
Middle and South American countries, the US and Canada each have one entry. The sailors are all top notch, obviously; several are former World Champions. The US will be represented by Conner Blouin.

I wish I could tell you what happened today (Aug 3), but all I found on the website was "delayed". No wind?

A whole bunch of other classes, including Laser and Laser Radial, will sail as well.

A more general (and better) write up can be found here:
https://www.ussailing.org/news/pags-preview-19/

Results after first day.
Wind at start and finish 210 deg.
Wind speed 18 Knots.

Attachments

• 2019 Pan Am Games Peru Sunfish.pdf
    94 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Dude! Where did you find the summary? I could find results for most fleets but not Sunfish. So far top 6 looks reasonably evenly matched.

Yes, after two windless days, all classes were able to get some work in on Monday.
With respect to the Sunfish class, after two races we see two (former) World champs on top: Martinetti ( Ecuador) and Dellagnelo (Brazil), but they are tied with Sanguineti from Peru. The next three are within striking distance (as Beldar mentioned).

With respect to results etc, I have been using the following link:
Results
All the participating sports are listed in alphabetical order. Then click on the day of interest for results.

PS: I have tried to use the tracker (Tractrac), but found it lacking. Anybody else?

Results after day 2. I combined results myself. Hopefully no mistakes.

Attachments

114.3 KB · Views: 42
It looked like the wind kicked in mid-day and all fleets sailed a number of races in the Bay of Paracas. The Sunfish group finished three and, as California Dude already reported, Ramsay (Canada) is the new leader with 7 points. Dellagnelo (Brazil) follows with 9 and Blouin (USA) with 13. Note that one score was dropped now that five races are completed.
I think that three more races are scheduled for Wednesday, let's hope for breeze!

Here is a link for a nice write-up from the US perspective.
https://www.ussailing.org/news/pags-preview-19/

Results after day 3 with 1 throw-out. North America still looks good.
Wavedancer how do I find SI's?

Attachments

129.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The live tracking made it look like Sunfish got in race 8. Conner Blouin was 5th and PER 1st, which I think will bump Conner to 4th. But I am not sure.

Yes, I see race #8. With 1 throw-out Conner is 4th but with 2 he is 3rd.
It looks like 2 more races tomorrow and medal race on 10th.
How can I see SI's?

Attachments

147.8 KB · Views: 52
    136.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The PanAm scoring sheet after 8 races:
1. Dellagnelo 18 points
2. Ramsay 19
3. Sanguineti 28
4. Blouin 29

Another website has Dellagnelo and Ramsay tied for first with 18 points and Sanguineti and Blouin tied for third with 28 points:
JUEGOS PANAMERICANOS LIMA 2019

Whatever, it's a very close fight for first and third; two races to go tomorrow (Thursday) and a medal race on Saturday.

I don't know where the Sailing Instructions can be found, but it would be interesting to know who gets to sail in the Medal Race and whether the scores will be doubled.

Last edited:
Also, it would be good to know if there will be second throw-out after 10th race. My guess is yes.
Where do you guys watch live tracking?

It looks like HERNÁNDEZ from Cuba was UFD (DSQ) from race #8 so we have new standings. North America still looks good.

Attachments

138.2 KB · Views: 36
Yes, Blouin had a less than average start in race 10 and a bad windward leg. Almost last around the first mark and never in contention. Peru was first around all the marks and won by a 'landslide'.
This time, the tracker worked OK for me (Windows X).

The Sunfish medal race will have seven players and is scheduled (!) for 25 minutes. The scores will count double.
It looks to me that the top three (Dellagnelo, Ramsay and Sanguineti) will keep a close eye on each other for the medals. Perhaps an 'outsider' might steal the win?

If nothing better to do, the Radial medal race (Women's Dinghy; yesterday, August 9) was very close and is worth watching. VERY tight battle between Sarah Douglas (CAN) and Charlotte Rose (USA). Sarah ever so slightly ahead most of the time with Charlotte almost overlapped at times. From the tracker it looked like Charlotte did a 360 right after one of the later marks. She almost got an inside overlap at the last mark (it appeared to me, on the tracker). But at the end Sarah won with Charlotte second which gave the gold medal to Sarah by one point.
The Men's Laser medal race was less exciting IMHO, with Bruno Fontes (BRA) beating Charlie Buckingham (USA) for the silver medal.

Too late now, but I did find (by accident) the Notice of Race and the Sailing Instructions etc.
PASAF – Lima 2019 Documents – Posted

Very interesting to watch in the tracker. Based on my view Conner sailed too long in a port header on the 2nd weather leg, but easy for me to say!!!

The NOR says it’s a BYO regatta. Another poster mentioned Conner sailed a GB boat at the midwinters this year.

So are you assuming Conner decided to being a different boat to Peru and that boat was not a GB boat?

How would a British build "hold back" someone?
Where were the medalists' boats built?

_

_
At least some of the GB boats were built without the structural support prior boats were built with. The Sunfish class was surprised to say the least. I am looking forward to finding out where the medallists boats were made.

_
The following is mostly speculation!
Yes, current (2019) Sunfishes have GB (followed by a code) on the stern. Some have speculated that the hulls are built in China and the fittings put on in the LP facility in England. But it is fairly certain that these boats don't have the internal (vertical) foam panels anymore that connect the deck to the bottom. So we speculate that they will flex more in waves. I have no idea whether this was relevant during the PanAm racing on the Bay of Paracas. It would be super if we could get a report from Conner Blouin himself, but I don't think he reads this Forum.
I also don't know what vintage Sunfish the other sailors were using.

So, no medal for US.
Gold DELLAGNELO Matheus BRA
Silver RAMSAY Luke CAN
Bronze SANGUINETI Renzo PER
TracTrac didn't play nice on my computer yesterday, but today (8/11) I was able to watch the whole race.
The course was windward/leeward (gate)/windward/leeward (same gate) and a short reach to the finish. Apparently, the wind was light (~7 knots).

At the first mark
PER
ARG
GUA

First time at the gate
PER
BRA
CAN

Second time at the windward mark (no change for the leaders)
PER
BRA
CAN

and at the gate for the second time
PER
BRA
USA
Blouin had overtaken Ramsay, and that's how it ended

Very briefly, PER took the lead early on and was never threatened. The rest of the fleet was closer, except for GUA who fell behind by a lot right after the first mark.

Back