Sunfish in the PanAm games

beldar boathead

The NOR says it’s a BYO regatta. Another poster mentioned Conner sailed a GB boat at the midwinters this year.

So are you assuming Conner decided to being a different boat to Peru and that boat was not a GB boat?

beldar boathead

How would a British build "hold back" someone?
Where were the medalists' boats built?

_
At least some of the GB boats were built without the structural support prior boats were built with. The Sunfish class was surprised to say the least. I am looking forward to finding out where the medallists boats were made.

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #27
How would a British build "hold back" someone?
Where were the medalists' boats built?

_
The following is mostly speculation!
Yes, current (2019) Sunfishes have GB (followed by a code) on the stern. Some have speculated that the hulls are built in China and the fittings put on in the LP facility in England. But it is fairly certain that these boats don't have the internal (vertical) foam panels anymore that connect the deck to the bottom. So we speculate that they will flex more in waves. I have no idea whether this was relevant during the PanAm racing on the Bay of Paracas. It would be super if we could get a report from Conner Blouin himself, but I don't think he reads this Forum.
I also don't know what vintage Sunfish the other sailors were using.

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Thread starter #28
So, no medal for US.
Gold DELLAGNELO Matheus BRA
Silver RAMSAY Luke CAN
Bronze SANGUINETI Renzo PER
TracTrac didn't play nice on my computer yesterday, but today (8/11) I was able to watch the whole race.
The course was windward/leeward (gate)/windward/leeward (same gate) and a short reach to the finish. Apparently, the wind was light (~7 knots).

At the first mark
PER
ARG
GUA

First time at the gate
PER
BRA
CAN

Second time at the windward mark (no change for the leaders)
PER
BRA
CAN

and at the gate for the second time
PER
BRA
USA
Blouin had overtaken Ramsay, and that's how it ended

Very briefly, PER took the lead early on and was never threatened. The rest of the fleet was closer, except for GUA who fell behind by a lot right after the first mark.