Sunfish Identification

Thread starter #1
I'm very excited about this little sunfish I found hanging in an old garage. I'm trying to determine the year. According to the sunfish timeline and the vin on the back its a '62 The sail looks to be several years newer. The boat and the sail are in fantastic condition and its dry as a bone. Also, I would like thoughts on upgrading(rudder, etc.) Or should I leave it all original.

Attachments

Unless the original sail is in rough shape, you'd probably be fine to keep sailing with it. The newer sail will help if you're planning to race other Sunfish, but if you're just sailing for recreation, then you probably don't need to upgrade.

Intensity Sails is a good source for a new sail if you go that route:
Parts & Sails for The Sunfish®

mixmkr

I like this even better...and still even better using a ratchet block instead of the standard, stand-up swivel, shown in the pic. (which the ratchet is now installed). That way, IF you're using the cam cleat AND hiked out, you don't have to lean in to un-cleat/cleat. Typically you're sitting on one side or the other too.

Attachments

beldar boathead

Unless the original sail is in rough shape, you'd probably be fine to keep sailing with it. The newer sail will help if you're planning to race other Sunfish, but if you're just sailing for recreation, then you probably don't need to upgrade.

Intensity Sails is a good source for a new sail if you go that route:
Parts & Sails for The Sunfish®
Yes if you only plan to sail recreationally this sail is fine. Laser Performance makes the authentic Sunfish sails at a good price if you decide to replace this one.

I’d install a ratchet block with the option of side deck cleats if you think you need them.

Check the vertical bolt on the transom. It should be ina vertical tube. Seems unimportant but actually helps keep rudder from shifting side to side and popping up while underway. If you need a tube there are some posts on this board about getting the right dimensions

Nice boat - nice find!!

Thread starter #11
Yes if you only plan to sail recreationally this sail is fine. Laser Performance makes the authentic Sunfish sails at a good price if you decide to replace this one.

I’d install a ratchet block with the option of side deck cleats if you think you need them.

Check the vertical bolt on the transom. It should be ina vertical tube. Seems unimportant but actually helps keep rudder from shifting side to side and popping up while underway. If you need a tube there are some posts on this board about getting the right dimensions

Nice boat - nice find!!

Attachments

I think the 2-loop is the preferred route to go - it spreads the load to both "legs" of the traveler.
(Whereas, a 3-loop effectively makes one leg of the traveler take all of the load)

wjejr

Hi Bill,

Nice boat!

I restored a 71 Sunfish which had a three loop traveller originally. As tag pointed out above, that puts all of the the strain on one side or the other. I didn’t like the looks of that, so I went with the two loop variety. That looked better, and it’s class legal, but it did chew up the varnish on the tiller. I was thinking about wrapping the tiller to stop the abrasion until one day when the traveller had an unexpected encounter with my electric buffer. The buffer made a mess of it, but fortunately it didn’t tear out the deck eyes.

After that, I decided to just use a piece of line, and that is what I would recommend. It’s cheaper, never rusts and is much easier on the tiller. You also can replace it without having to unscrew anything. The only downside is that line is no longer class legal, but unless you are racing the boat, what does it matter?

The length between the eyes should be about 30 inches.

Good luck.