Sunfish Hull Original Color Paint

BillMc

Im new to the forum. haven't seen this question yet, is there an after market paint that matches up exactly to the manufacturers (AMF) paint ? I have a 76 Sunfish that I am looking to paint the hull the original color.

Aftermarket paints will never match the original exactly because the paint on the hull has changed over time. But if you are going to paint the entire hull, that won't matter.

If the original finish is in good condition (gelcoat), I wouldn't paint over it. Original 1976 "maroon" can only be improved by painting over it, however. :rolleyes: White dazzles in sunlight, so go for pastels. Dark colors can sear memories of sunny days. :oops:

The bottom--likewise; but if already painted, pick an easy color to match, like "appliance white". :cool: (Which also won't blend-in with the water--as a safety factor).

Paint over MarineTex repairs, as white MarineTex will yellow from the sun. :(

It appears to be the original light blue that I have seen on others. It appears to be original after sanding a few spots. Ive seen threads on the brands, electorlux, rustoleum, wet edge etc.

Asking if anyone on the forum can recommend the actual color. Ive looked online and have not seen where any of the manufacturers have tried to replicate Sunfish colors.

I do hull painting and gelcoat restorstion/repair for a living. There is no replacement gelcoat or paint color on the market, geared for the Sunfish as far as I know. Larger boats...cruisers, powerboats...typically yes. Small daysailor usually not. I agree, if there isn't too much damage, after aggresive compounding, a buff/wax can sometimes work. Colors....and also light blue, becomes more doubtful. The choice is then painting...from rattle cans to professional top coats....your color choice.

Lastly, EXACT color matching is a skill. That's why you'd re-paint an entire boat. You scratch a car door...the entire panel usually gets painted. Much easier then EXACT matching and feathering edges.

And.... if the gelcoat is not repairable....pick a color you think best matches, if you want the same color scheme. Various manufacturers make consumer paints around $40/qt...which can give 10 year+ incredible results...'interlux brightside' for example. A quart should be enough....follow manf. Instructuons. Others use a $4 Can of rustoleum, call it a day and go sailing.

The nice thing about gelcoat is it lasts. Yours is 44 years old and still going. Paint will scratch and add weight. But if you want to get closer to a new-boat look paint is the only way outside of respraying with gelcoat which is much more complex - and as with paint you won’t be able to buy gelcoat in the original color.

I do hull painting and gelcoat restorstion/repair for a living. There is no replacement gelcoat or paint color on the market, geared for the Sunfish as far as I know. Larger boats...cruisers, powerboats...typically yes. Small daysailor usually not. I agree, if there isn't too much damage, after aggresive compounding, a buff/wax can sometimes work. Colors....and also light blue, becomes more doubtful. The choice is then painting...from rattle cans to professional top coats....your color choice.
thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9110.JPG
    IMG_9110.JPG
    644.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9111.JPG
    IMG_9111.JPG
    980.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9112.JPG
    IMG_9112.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9114.JPG
    IMG_9114.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9113.JPG
    IMG_9113.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 48
Thank you for your insight/experience. really appreciate it. The hull paint/gelcoat is in pretty good condition. Just some small areas

Just to clarify, the only paint on that hull is from repairs. Gelcoat is a 2-part resin mixture that provides a hard, shiny (when new), plastic-like surface. It’s much more durable than paint.

The boats are made by spraying a polished female mold with gelcoat, then laying in the Fiberglass and resin. When the boat is popped from the mold it has a nice, shiny, durable finish.

you are correct, I mispoke. It looks like original gelcoat with some small repairs painted over in 3 or 4 small spots. Im not opposed to keeping it original then rubbing/waxing/buffing to bring the shine back out. I do need to make some repairs though.

If you think by looking at the photos I should just buff it out, I would take your recommendation

There are a few areas that need minor repair - bow, halfway down the hull. I'll get some photos. thank you
Not too bad, if the new paint hasn't disguised additional damage. I'd say a full repaint is in order. My gifted Sunfish, a victim of Hurricane Irma, has a light blue deck, which I've found easy on the eyes.

If you capsize, a white bottom will contrast with the water, making it safer from a powerboat collision.

I've brushed on Rustoleum "Appliance White". It covers well, and one quart will allow paint to spare. The downside is that it's relatively soft for over a year. :oops:
I spread a red autobody filler on the scratches, but white is available. Sanding everything flat takes the most time.

What's going on with the transom color? :confused:

I vote for fresh paint, but I suggest using 2-part LP or Linear Polyurethane primer & topcoats... plenty of colors to choose from with LP, and they'll make that boat look one hell of a lot better, LOL. :rolleyes:

As L&VW said, a lightly-colored deck is easier on the eyes than a gleaming white deck, tones down the glare quite a bit. Cheers!!! :cool:

Back