Sunfish hull fairing

Ahoy Sunfish sailors!
Sunfish Class Rules say:
3.1.4 There are no restrictions as to the type of finish applied to the hull so long as the finish is
applied in liquid form. Materials applied in solid or sheet form are specifically forbidden.
Modification of the hull to improve the shape or performance beyond the original is forbidden.

So is it legal to build up flat spots on the Sunfish hull with gel coat and sand it to "perfect" shape?

Ahoy Sunfish sailors!
Sunfish Class Rules say:
3.1.4 There are no restrictions as to the type of finish applied to the hull so long as the finish is
applied in liquid form. Materials applied in solid or sheet form are specifically forbidden.
Modification of the hull to improve the shape or performance beyond the original is forbidden.

So is it legal to build up flat spots on the Sunfish hull with gel coat and sand it to "perfect" shape?

My "read" is that you could.

My newest '76 Sunfish boat has so many flat spots that adding enough gel coat would require six men and a boy to lift it to the water. :confused:

....that rule seems pretty straightforward. You are proposing modifying the hull and altering its shape. BB

....that rule seems pretty straightforward. You are proposing modifying the hull and altering its shape. BB

No, I'm not proposing modifying the hull. You like to read between the lines don't you?
I will call it refinishing. How about that?

Why are you even bothering to ask. You get the answer you don't want and try to wordsmith your way around it. If you read the rule you would note "Modification of the hull to improve the shape....." If you are eliminating flat spots you are improving the shape.

The thing I really can't figure out is why I am spending my time involved in this conversation......

Why are you even bothering to ask. You get the answer you don't want and try to wordsmith your way around it. If you read the rule you would note "Modification of the hull to improve the shape....." If you are eliminating flat spots you are improving the shape.

It is a free country and I'm interested to know what other sailors think. What I'm not interested in is having someone tell me that I'm trying to do something that I'm not.
Let's make it clear. Someone in my club faired the hull and a couple of other sailors approached me and asked for my opinion.
Guys and gals in our club give me a lot of credit. I don't now why but I take it.
I thought that it would be a good idea to post the question on the forum and see what other sailors thought before I have a talk with the new sailor. Obviously, I made a mistake. I should've just contacted Rob Eberle (Sunfish Class Measurer, whom I had a chance to have a dink or two on number of occasions), as I did last night and go from there.
Anyway, thank you all for your replies, especially you BB:confused:.

Cal Dude
I think talking to the Class Measurer is the way to go, and I'd be interested to hear what the answer is. I fair a lot of hulls for as part of a restoration and I need to advise the buyer if they are buying a "class legal" boat.

Adios
k

This, somewhat controversial, issue has come up repeatedly on The Laser Forum as well.
I am not a Class Measurer in either class, but I would feel legal if
I faired a spot that sticks up after a repair.
But fairing a spot/area on the hull that has never been touched/repaired doesn't appear legal to me.

To get back to the original question:

IMHO, the answer is NO.

Last edited:
Here is reply form Rob:
To answer your question, it is permitted to use gelcoat to repair imperfections (usually small hollow areas, chips or scratches.........don't exactly know what you mean by "flat" spots) as long as you don't modify to change the original molded hull shape.
I toured the LP manufacturing facility and took some photos. See attachments.
The original molded hull shape is very smooth and it has a gradual sweeping curve to it.
IMHO, I think that what he was trying to accomplish, I hope that I'm not mistaken, is to bring the boat to the original shape. I think that I will let him off the hook for now and see if the extra weight and good chunk of money made the difference.
Thank you again for your comments and input.

Attachments

• 000001.jpg
    000001.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 000002.jpg
    000002.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 000003.jpg
    000003.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 49

Back