Sunfish hiking technique

altair

I weigh about 145 and find that I need to hike upwind when the breeze is over 15. Last summer I seemed to get very fatigued while hiking upwind eventhough I was in decent shape. I believe I may be using the wrong technique. Is there a correct hiking position on the fish? Someone told me that your butt should hang over the side and your legs should be parallel to the deck. This would mean that the hiking strap would have to be loose enough to come up to the lip of the cockpit. Is this the correct set up?

I think a lot depends on your body shape. I have short legs and find that I need the strap looser than some to get my rear end out far enough to fully flatten the boat. I think it's easier to have the strap tighter, but there is an offset in that it restricts how far out you can get. I'd guess the ideal Sunfish racere has looong legs, a small mid-section and broad shoulders and weighs in the 170 lbs range. I am by no means a definitive voice on this, but I'd suggest going out for an afternoon in a blow and make adjustments every 5 min or so to see what works best for you. A home-made hiking bench can help a lot too. Plus they make a great place to stack empty boxes in the basement:)

EW's advice is all good. Experiment lots with the strap and the position you take in the boat. I find that I move positions frequently on long tacks to keep comfortable. Sometimes I'll cross my feet or relax one leg for a short time or sit further out but have less upper body extended, etc., whatever it takes to keep the boat flat and balance the helm.

At 140 lb, I imagine it's actually less than 15 kts when you start hiking. So to that extent, you are hiking more frequently, and for longer periods of time than your heavier counterparts. You should SERIOUSLY consider buying a pair of hiking pants. They are sweeeet. I have a pair of the S.E.A. Airprene hikers and they were money well spent. There's lots of styles on the market. They make hiking much more comfortable, which allows you to hike harder and longer.

Oh, and don't forget about the jen's rig!!!

Good luck

Yes, your butt should be almost in the water when it really blows. Until then you hike out far enough the stay almost level. Leg position, etc. is a personal choice for comfort.

Fred

ALL good advice. The idea is to have as much of your body outside the boat as you can comfortably support by hooking your feet on the strap. Then you bend in- and outboard at the waist in response to the heeling force. . . great exercise. When you're flat out (or just tired), you can take advantage of feathering upwind, but you have to make sure the boat keeps moving.
Years ago, the 505 sailors spent a lot of time discussing the ideal hiking/trapezing physiognomy. . . came up with a Frankensteinian upper body and very light, strong (titanium alloy?) extensible legs.

altair said:
I weigh about 145 and find that I need to hike upwind when the breeze is over 15. Last summer I seemed to get very fatigued while hiking upwind eventhough I was in decent shape. I believe I may be using the wrong technique. Is there a correct hiking position on the fish? Someone told me that your butt should hang over the side and your legs should be parallel to the deck. This would mean that the hiking strap would have to be loose enough to come up to the lip of the cockpit. Is this the correct set up?

Well; it's supposed to hurt :rolleyes:! More seriously, the Rooster sailing site has good info on proper hiking techniques: www.roostersailing.com (click on "Hints and tips" and then on "articles". Although focused on hiking on a Laser, much applies to Sunfish.

Which brings the following to mind. On a Laser one can rig an adjustable strap; looser upwind (to get as much of your body out of the boat as possible) and tighter downwind (to keep your bu.. out off the water). Has this been tried on a Sunfish and would this be legal?

Thanks for that Rooster link!! I've always assumed that bent leg hiking was "correct", and I've had quadraceps problems a couple of times. . . after windy regattas. Interestingly, I seem to revert to straight legs when I get tired. I will set up for straight legs hereafter. BobF

58984 EW said:
I think a lot depends on your body shape. I have short legs and find that I need the strap looser than some to get my rear end out far enough to fully flatten the boat. I think it's easier to have the strap tighter, but there is an offset in that it restricts how far out you can get. I'd guess the ideal Sunfish racere has looong legs, a small mid-section and broad shoulders and weighs in the 170 lbs range. I am by no means a definitive voice on this, but I'd suggest going out for an afternoon in a blow and make adjustments every 5 min or so to see what works best for you. A home-made hiking bench can help a lot too. Plus they make a great place to stack empty boxes in the basement:)

Can you tell me how to make a hiking bench. Sounds like it would be easy but not sure where to start.

Actually, the S’fish is strong enough to use in situ. If you support the hull and fasten the opposite gunwale, you can practice right on it.
O’wise, you just need a bench the dimensions of the deck (padding for leg comfort is OK) and wide enough for you, plus attachments for a strap at the appropriate height and distance from the “deck”, supported by a pair of stringers (maybe 2”x6”) tying both together.

Can be quite simple and inelegant, but dimensions, taken from the ‘fish, are important.

One version is at http://www.jdecm.com/laser/hiking.htm .
Good luck.

Back