Sunfish gadgets & accessories -- sheet ties and

Petrel

I went out again in the SF and the 7 year old neighbor also joined me. The wind was dying down bc we'd left the rudder and db in the garage. DH thought I'd put it in the wagon, I thought he'd put it in the wagon. :rolleyes: We now have a new 'rule' -- the spars don't get taken out until all the other gear is out and in the car. I've made a checklist, so will have to put up a few copies.

Gizmos -- some to make sailing more fun, an one, just an odd ball thing:

--- "Sheet tie ups" -- I needed these the first time I used my SF. The slack in the mainsheet along the boom kept wanting to strangle me and I'd get a bit tangled. I think if the wind was stronger, I'd not have been bothered, or not so much. I was looking around at the APS site when I spotted their main sheet tie up for about $10 or $11 from pretty aqua webbing and velcro. I already have my order and don't want to pay more shipping, so I'll make my own or improvise w something like the broccoli velcro like strips from the grocery store.
Anyone here either buy the APS ones or fashion their own? I forgot how to add images, but you can see the aforementioned at the accessories link at Annapolis.

--- Tiller extension. I want a fully articulated/universal joint extension bc I find the wooden two way stick a stinker to use, especially when tacking. What length do "youse guys" like?
I've got a Ronstan X-10 (24") and have the universal joint and cap, BUT am missing the plastic/ nylon part that screws onto the tiller and to which the rectangular tab of the swivel head attaches (slides and turns into). The replacement part for the entire swivel head is around $14 to $15 plus shipping. Ugh. I just need the very lowest piece. Anyone got a spare or know where I might find it or how I can jury rig something? I think this 24" size will work fine if I can get it afixed to the tiller.

--- Rowing accessory. I saved the image of it, but didn't buy it. $20 at Craigslist Burlington (VT). It looks like it's metal or plastic tubes attached to an oar lock setup and it fits down into the db slot. (pretend I've attached the image that's on my hard disk waiting for me to find Wayne's directions :eek:) ) I guess you'd have to not be planning on sailing unless you are going to tow an accessory trailer with the rowing accessory and oars. Anyone ever try one of these? I already have a rowboat, so will skip it. I'd rather be sailing than rowing or even motoring.

--- Sail windows: I can see how these would be very nice to have, so I may save up and get one of those inexpensive practice sails with a window.
That brings me to another point: Why no more beautiful sail patterns any longer? Even with the Zuma, the new sails just seem stark. I really always loved the nuance shades and sunset or sunrise blends. The plain old unrelated solid stripes are uninspiring.

Regarding sheet tie-ups: try some cable ties. Just let them hang loose enough to allow the sheet to pass through. Dirt cheap and they work. Put one or more between each sail clip.

Fred

I went out again in the SF ...and we'd left the rudder and db in the garage. I've made a checklist...
sm_QkysuLZg.jpg

√Rudder, √Daggerboard, √Sunscreen, √iPod, ...

--- Rowing accessory. I saved the image of it, but didn't buy it. $20 at Craigslist Burlington (VT).
I saw that too ... weird

4866873654_2d998be312.jpg

Back in the day, someone had a framework of PVC to turn a Sunfish into a Rowing Shell.
It was often seen advertised in the Windward Leg.

--- Sail windows: I can see how these would be very nice to have, so I may save up and get one of those inexpensive practice sails with a window.
Sailrite has a kit.

... add pictures:

Uploading from your computer Look below the reply window at the Additional Options menu ... Click the Manage Attachments button.

From Flikr, PhotoBucket, or other on-line picture album Click on the Insert Image button
insertimage.gif
and add the URL for the picture you want to post.

Thanks Fred P and Wayne!

Zip ties. Great idea. Now what color....

Wayne, loved your 'Checklist' image. And, yep, that Sunfish rowing gizmo is weird looking. I see it's still for sale. I'm getting a stiff neck just thinking about how uncomfortable it could be -- the geometry; looks like the oars would be low.

I'll have to give the vinyl window some thought. I've got some vintage and solid sewing machines, but the larges needle they will take is an 18. Maybe I'll write or call sailrite, but someone in a sewing store told me that the ?dacron thread is large/fat. I do like seeing where I'm going on busy days, however.

Thanks too for the photo tips. I actually went scouting around and even found some photos in my photo gallery. I deleted a few, but couldn't find how to add any more ;)
<Sure Petrel feels stupid; time to eat more sardines>

I'll try an image: Here's a bimini on a WB (stollen from web). I woudn't mind some sun shelter while sailing. Maybe I can get the 7 yr old to hold a golf umbrella over me...

Attachments

• 10 foot Walker Bay dinghy with bimini and oars Northport NY 5163533732 550bux.jpg
    10 foot Walker Bay dinghy with bimini and oars Northport NY 5163533732 550bux.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 49
. . .someone in a sewing store told me that the ?dacron thread is large/fat.

You can get UVR polyester thread in V46 for 3 - 5 oz fabric ... needle size 14/90. Which is just what you want for a Sunfish ~3.9 oz sail. A plain ol' home sewing machine will sew 3.9 oz sailcloth. So if your vintage machines are overkill, just borrow one.

Bimini ideas . . .

coke%20match%20race%201_sml.jpg

sails..., we don't need no stinking sails

Enjoying the posts so far. I made a main sheet clip from, of 1 1/2 inch ABS pipe that is heated and formed over a 1/2 inch bolt then cooled and then cut out 1/2 inch on oposite the sheet channel then round up all sharp edges. Works great and can be moved on boom to suit the sailor.
Made a wind indicator from ABS and stainless steel spokes with loops on the threaded ends. The spokes are mounted by drilling two holes for each spoke and a 1 inch or so portion of the spoke is in the inner part of the abs pipe. This gives a spring tension on the unit so it stays in place on any part of the the spar that you choose to mount it. Like the mainsheet clip cut out the back of the ABS so it is the shape of the letter C in section view.
Don

Attachments

• elmer, timothy at st. anne 031.jpg
    elmer, timothy at st. anne 031.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 60
  • elmer, timothy at st. anne 030.jpg
    elmer, timothy at st. anne 030.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 67
  • elmer, timothy at st. anne 025.jpg
    elmer, timothy at st. anne 025.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 64
--- Rowing accessory. I saved the image of it, but didn't buy it. $20 at Craigslist Burlington (VT). It looks like it's metal or plastic tubes attached to an oar lock setup and it fits down into the db slot. (pretend I've attached the image that's on my hard disk waiting for me to find Wayne's directions :eek:) ) I guess you'd have to not be planning on sailing unless you are going to tow an accessory trailer with the rowing accessory and oars. Anyone ever try one of these? I already have a rowboat, so will skip it. I'd rather be sailing than rowing or even motoring.
I actually have a need for rowing (though not necessarily the device you describe). Our cabin is on a pond that connects to a lake via a quarter-mile channel and under a low bridge. The real wind is up on the lake but the boat is down in the pond. Sailing on the lake has always meant towing the SF behind a motorboat, which makes it a "production" not worth the effort. It basically kept me on the pond and stunted my sailing development which is why I'm not a professional sailor and I work in an office. (Shhh... don't ask why I didn't just paddle; you'll ruin the fantasy!)

Back