sunfish for two?

Hi,

Quick question: How much does a second person degrade performance (especially speed) on a 14' Sunfish? I weigh 170 lbs and my wife is 120 lbs. Is that going to be too much? I've been looking for a smaller monohull (smaller than my 18' Prindle cat, that is), and I like the Sunfish for several reasons. However, is this basically going to be a boat for sailing solo?

Thanks!
Kevin

If you are talking about just going out daysailing performance won't be an issue as you'll have nothing to compare it to...LOL
Set up with the sail at "recreational" height ie.. with the boom 12-24 inches off the deck it's not a real hassle sailing with two on a fish. Setup for racing with the boom at a deck skimming height you can gaurantee there will be "issues" during tacking/gybing.

Also you have to remember a Fish isn't so much a monohull as it is what's called a board boat. Lasers, Sunfish, Fish clones fit into the board catagory. basically a deck with an opening for feet...LOL

As Mike mentioned, speed is not an issue. I am 140 and my son is 100. We used to set the boom low and we had not much problems to turn. I just have to watch that my life jacket doesn't catch the sheet line along the boom. We capsized once because of that! Since then I have attached a short rope in the middle of the boom, so the sheet doesn't bother anymore.

This summer I have put the boom in recreational position. I had a good view under the sail but I felt the boat was more sensitive to heel but I don't know if it was really the case. Next year I will lower the boom again.

papayamon2 said:
Hi,

Quick question: How much does a second person degrade performance (especially speed) on a 14' Sunfish? I weigh 170 lbs and my wife is 120 lbs. Is that going to be too much? I've been looking for a smaller monohull (smaller than my 18' Prindle cat, that is), and I like the Sunfish for several reasons. However, is this basically going to be a boat for sailing solo?

Thanks!
Kevin

I often sail with my son, about 300lbs total. With a recreational rig, and lots of wind (15mph+), we can plane nicely. With less wind we still have fun.

Bill

papayamon2 said:
Hi,

Thanks!
Kevin

I often sail with my son, about 300lbs total. With a recreational rig, and lots of wind (15mph+), we can plane nicely. With less wind we still have fun. He makes a good spray shield, too.

Bill

Same thing for us. My boat is quite heavy (old 1969, inspections port newly installed). She will plane better when she is dry.

Don't worry about sinking if that's what worries you. Way back when they used to have these races where after each "lap" you'd add another person to the boat. I can remember folks sailing with 5 or 6 adults tangled up on a fish....LOL

As Mike mentioned, speed is not an issue. I am 140 and my son is 100. We used to set the boom low and we had not much problems to turn. I just have to watch that my life jacket doesn't catch the sheet line along the boom. We capsized once because of that! Since then I have attached a short rope in the middle of the boom, so the sheet doesn't bother anymore.

This summer I have put the boom in recreational position. I had a good view under the sail but I felt the boat was more sensitive to heel but I don't know if it was really the case. Next year I will lower the boom again.
I catch my life vest on the sheet as well. CAn you explain exactly what you did to prevent this?

Suggested at this site, I use duck tape, with a smaller piece flipped inside to "unstick" the moving line.

(Think of a silver Band-Aid). ;)

I have the Intensity hangars on my '71 (Ruby) and they work well. Never get hung up. I just ordered these plastic mainsheet guides from AeroSouth for my '77. I'll let you all know how they compare.

1596766074441.png

I have the Intensity hangars on my '71 (Ruby) and they work well. Never get hung up. I just ordered these plastic mainsheet guides from AeroSouth for my '77. I'll let you all know how they compare.

View attachment 40313
A quick correction on my earlier post. The above photo shows only two main sheet clips. However I believe they will ship three. If that’s the case, I think that will completely eliminate the mainsheet getting caught on my lifejacket during a tack.

Im interested to know if these have too much friction to make it easy to sheet out in light air - And also if it’s easy to jam your noggin into it.
I’ve used the AeroSouth mainsheet bangers all summer and I really like them. They rotate as needed during tacking and look sharp as well.

Reactions: tag
See? That's why I use aluminum-colored duct tape. Not only does it match the aluminum spars in color, it won't bang your head. ;)

Back