Sunfish for Christmas

Waterdowg

So I got my 13 year old son a used sunfish for Christmas that needs a little gel coat repair. I would like to give him some other items for the boat as well that he may need. Maybe tools or some useful items for the sunfish. He has a life jacket since we already have a boat and kayaks. I was thinking of a small emergency oar. But can't really think of other things. Any ideas works be great thank you.
Phil

NIce present!

I suggest a wind indicator (to be mounted on the gaff); you can make one yourself from a clothes hanger
Or a decent block for the mainsheet if the boat doesn't have one.

Padded bag for daggerboard and rudder (Intensity Sails), deck cover (Intensity), sailing gloves, Sunfish Bible book, sailing boots, hiking strap if you don't have one, sail/spar bag (Intensity), dolly to move boat around...

One of these shirts would keep him feeling dry and keep the sun off: Evolution Dynamic Tee by Musto it is item msse1420 at aps who is a sponsor of this site.

Brass whistle, some kind of drink bottle, a pair of padded shorts, waterproof music speakers, oh wait, that's my Christmas list!!

Sailing gloves. Bungee or retaining strap for the daggerboard. And "The SUnfish Owner's Manual" of course!

Great present!

Kent

The wife says slingshot, flare gun, boarding ladder, Letter of Marque, Captain's Log (keep different ones for different Nations, you never know who will pull you over), pirate flag or pirate sail..............

+1 on the sailing gloves. A cheap waterproof watch. A couple of wide velcro straps for keeping the mainsheet against the boom (to prevent hanging oneself when coming about). A ratcheting block or locking cleat (depending on one's tastes). A sail with a window. A cleat on the mast for the halyard. Some marine-grade wax.

A lot of good ideas already posted, here are some of my thoughts (some repeats):
  1. Ratchet block for the main sheet (I like the Harken 2135, but Intensity Sails has a cheaper one that is nice too).
  2. Sailing gloves, and/or rash guard SPF shirts
  3. A shorty wetsuit (check Costco and Amazon for decent options)
  4. Hiking strap
  5. A new set of lines (halyard, main sheet, etc)
  6. A race style sail with window from Intensity Sails
  7. A GoPro video camera!!
Awesome gift of a sailboat, btw. I just recently gave my 2 older boys a used Minifish that I found for cheap on Craigslist.

Cheers,
tag

If you have a old wooden tiller extension replace with a universal long handle extension. Can be made cheaply with aluminum ski pole and a universal joint. Plans posted on forum. Water proof GPS is fun.

Minas man

I do recommend an oar, specifically the praddle:

http://www.intensitysails.com/pradlle.html

Very easy to use. It's one handed so you can use the tiller at the same time. The other ideas here are great. I would say start with the praddle and gloves, then a block and nicer lines, then a tiller extension, then racing sail with window, then hiking strap. That would be my order of priorities. Maybe flip tiller extension and window in sail. Cheers!

Oh yeah, +a million on a daggerboard retaining bungee, and those anti-hanging Velcro straps. Basically go to the Intensity sails Sunfish page, you want everything on it :)

Well it was a hit. I have never seen him so happy. He screamed, yelled and jump. It was a great feeling. This is a child who does not really show emotion do to his autistic tendencies. He spent he entire Christmas day in the garage. He was washed it, cleaned it oxidation cleaner, remove all the black on the bottom from the trailer rollers.

I ended up not getting him much for the boat. He got a safety kit, sunglasses w/ cord, swim suit and money to buy what he wants or needs.

Next step is to patch the chips in the gel coat. We plan on using Marine-Tex epoxy. There is one stop that is questionable is the fiberglass needs to be repaired, but I'm not worried about that. We can fix it either way.

Reactions: tag
walmart sells a neat collapsable alum oar that fits in space behind cockpit.
also see cafepress website for neat shirts and stuff for sunfish

Back