Sunfish Direct delivery issues?

BobMcT

I ordered a new Sunfish December 14, 2021 and was told to expect it by March. It’s now June and no word on potential delivery. I can’t imagine how a shipment could be held up or sit so long in port. I was wondering if there was some other issue. If anyone knows more, I’d appreciate the input.

Really glad I’m finally getting the boat. Haven’t owned one since the late 70s. I hope some of the early Portugal production issues have been addressed.

Laser Performance, or any other recreational craft manufacturer, could not have forecast the Pandemic and associated parts and shipping logistics challenges. Everyone (when they could) and their dog decided to go boating during pandemic, and new and used boat sales went through the roof. I don't know if Alcort/AMF/Loveless and DeGarmo/Sunfish Laser Inc/Vanguard would have fared any better with product availability and delivery during the last 2 years.

Being a North American, I would love for Sunfish production to migrate back to the US, that is where the bulk of the market has been and will continue to be for some time. If LP did that, I would also expect to see a significant price increase in price due to labor and infrastructure cost, so pick your poison.

But back to BobMcT, what color boat are you getting? Recreational or Race rig? And where will she sail?

PS Don't go adding an inspection port, the new boats have air bladders inside vs foam, not good to cut into one of those. Not a fan of the bladder, but I'm Old School, I know what I'll find inside a Sunfish made from 1960-2020.

I’m getting a recreational sail - Newport, and the boat with blue splash guard. I also ordered the fiberglass rudder and centerboard. I do like the fact the sail has a window. I had to add that to my late 70s Sunfish which had a Gulfstream sail. I do wish the sails from SD had the Sunfish logo on them.

Sunfish Direct offers official and discount aftermarket sails - thus the lack of a logo. Probably just as well, as LP hasn’t reliably offered boats or parts since 2012 or 2013

Another surprise- SD sails not only have a window, they come with tells installed on the sail. Finished getting the boat and dolly all ready to go. Hope to hit the water tomorrow unless there’s a storm predicted.

Ok, finally got the boat all rigged and the dolly assembled and got the boat to the water yesterday. Storm was about to come so couldn't sail yesterday. Today there's little chance of rain but no much wind until afternoon. I tried taking the boat out and realized there just wasn't enough wind to enjoy and I found adjustments needed to be made. The halyard hitch needed to go up a bit and the gooseneck needed to go forward a bit. I've made the adjustments and about to go out now that wind is picking up.

I did have one issue - the bailer with the stopper in leaks. After pulling back ashore on the dolly, I removed and re-installed. The o-ring is there and I can get it pretty hand tight. We'll see if that continues. I'll try posing a couple of pics. The covered one is yesterday and the rigged one is before I first took the boat out.

tempImageSQ9tQm.jpg
tempImageZmNNIN.jpg

Looks like you are sailing in the Intercoastal Waterway near Mary Esther, FL. I sailed there a few times when I was in the Air Force and had friends in Destin and Ft Walton Beach. Your new boat looks great. Simple, bold graphics and nice looking sail, albeit no logo.

Alan Glos
(Former Capt. USAF)

You might want to loosen the lower outhaul 2-3 inches. SFD sails tend to be cut flat so loosening it a bit should provide a little more power.

Yes, we live on the Sound in Mary Esther, FL. I learned how to sail in the late 50s on a Sailfish at our summer home close to where we live now. Owned a Sunfish in the late 70s, moved to daysailer and then cruising sailboats. Eventually gave up sailboats for power boats. Now in my early 70s, it’s great to find ways to recapture youth.

I will try loosening the outhaul a bit for day 2 sailing the boat today. Thanks, I’m open to any tips.

I sailed there a few times when I was in the Air Force and had friends in Destin and Ft Walton Beach. Your new boat looks great. Simple, bold graphics and nice looking sail, albeit no logo.

Alan Glos
(Former Capt. USAF)
I frequented Ft. Walton Beach when I was attending U.S. Navy Cryptographic "A" school at Corry Field. Of course, there was no U.S. Navy occasion for sailing there: :confused: not even for achieving "Honor Man" over thousands of my peers. 'Won a Savings Bond and a few days off with pay. ;)

'Got lectured by my Chief instructor for being "squared-away" only once in six months. :p

When I see the term "sugar sand" I think of those days. I hope that entire shoreline doesn't get discovered, but I suspect it already has. :rolleyes:

nice boat. i need one of those sails. sfd has been pretty good. id love if they sent stickers too!!!!

Back