Sunfish cradle and support by deck or hull?

spark33

I have an 18 foot ezloader that I took off the rollers and made a flat deck out of 3/4 inch plywood. Now to put my sun fish on it I was thinking that some two by tens would be good.
Should I cut curves to fit the hull ? I was thinking 4 pieces for the center that are 4 feet wide for the hull and a couple of three footers for the ends?

Or
am I better doing it so the boat is deck down.

Is there less chance for damage when going down the road if I support the boat on the deck?

Your set up sounds similar to mine. I load the boat onto the trailer stern first, there is a 4X4 which is attached to the trailer bed and runs cross wise, this supports the keel near the transom. The mid area of the hull sits on the keel. The boat cannot rock side to side as there is a vertically mounted 2X4 attached to the trailer sides at the beam of the boat, the over hang of the deck rests lightly on these 2X4's (the real weight is born by the aft 4X4 the keel and a piece of 1X4 that I insert as a shim, under the forward portion of the keel. Currently I drive a very short distance to launch so this somewhat rigid set up poses no problem, however I am thinking of trailering 20 miles on fairly rough gravel road to a very very long, very windy, very popular, wind surfing lake and this current set up will transfer too much impact to the boat so my plan is to affix wide slings to either side of the trailer side fencing and cradle the boat on these. I would think transporting keel down would do less damage than deck down, although I'm certain that given two options there will be two opinions.

Back