Sunfish Cover

HopeFloats

i am new to sailing and was able to get my hands in two Sunfish boats. They will get stayed outdoors at a sailing clubs rack during the summer. Looking for an afforadable. Cover. I will need two. Most I have found new online are well over 200$. Would a tarp work? Anything DYI on the cheap I could do?

There are several boat covers on Amazon for $40 - $60 range that look like they would work. I had a 420 that I tarped with bungee straps that lasted several years.

Thank you for your input on buying a traditional boat cover. I couldn’t think of any downsides- so your feedback is reassuring. From your suggestion, I found one on Amazon for $40- covers a “Jon” type boat. 18” long-can’t remember width - but it is larger than a sunfish. Comes with straps. Figured the extra length would allow for the mast,boom,sail to for under possibly. All together to cover and protect both my boats from getting water logged I’m only out about $100 this year….I’ll try it- good for now until I can save a few penny’s for a custom fitted cover like the “pros” have.

Tarps are expensive considering they only last a few years, so it is best investment to buy a marine grade cover. Sunbrella from SLO Sail and Canvas is our Go To, we've bought several over ht elast decade and they are still in great shape.

Tarps are expensive considering they only last a few years, so it is best investment to buy a marine grade cover. Sunbrella from SLO Sail and Canvas is our Go To, we've bought several over ht elast decade and they are still in great shape.

While I personally hate tarps because they are a pain and don't work all that well, so I don't use them as boat covers...

I can get 8'x16' tarps for $10.

$200 is 20 tarps. 40 years at a couple years each... and that ignores the future value of money.

As a shortcut to a full cover, I'm currently building a fiberglass cockpit cover, using an undamaged piece of cardboard as a basis. It has been covered with one piece of heavy fiberglass cloth on each side, using epoxy resin. It resembles a "serving tray" with a gentle curve to match the curve of the hull.

I'm looking for some manner of attaching it, so it can't drift or blow away.

i really like mine and my buddy ordered one. they are about a month out right now! just fyi.

As a shortcut to a full cover, I'm currently building a fiberglass cockpit cover, using an undamaged piece of cardboard as a basis. It has been covered with one piece of heavy fiberglass cloth on each side, using epoxy resin. It resembles a "serving tray" with a gentle curve to match the curve of the hull.

I'm looking for some manner of attaching it, so it can't drift or blow away.

Couple loops on the underside of your fiberglass piece at the front & rear of the cokpit.

Bungies tied to the loops with hooks/clips on the other end.

Clip the hook/clips to hiking strap attachment points.

Sunbrella scraps...cover of many colors.

Attachments

• 20201021_144307.jpg
    20201021_144307.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
Yeah thx. The black stuff is like a anti-chafe and is also on tbe underside where it touches the hull...like the blocks, splash guard...

Back