Sunfish cover

soso

has anyone tried putting some type of drain hole in a sunfish cover over the cockpit so that water would drain into the cockpit and out the drain, instead of using a beach ball or something similar to keep the cover elevated? just had my cover rip because I didn't have it elevated enough over the cockpit and cover filled with water at that point.

My mast and sails live in a long sparbag I leave with my boat. I put the sparbag on top of my Sunfish (tied at the bow, under the traveler. The boat cover goes over the sparbag. Since I leave my boat on the dolly, it is already tilted, bow-up. That and the way the boat cover "tents" over the sparbag keep water from pooling on the cover. It runs down and to the side......I have also seen people build a plywood cockpit cover that goes under and elevates the sailboat cover just enough so that water doesn't pool.

my mast and sails are stored in a shed. any idea what this plywood cockpit cover looks like? sounds like an interesting idea, but want to make sure I don't have anything for the cover to snag on or tear.

Seems like it would work. Or buy a 8' closet rod at HD/Lowes and use it as a ridgepole set on top of the coaming, run back aft of the cockpit.

Someone was going to try a couple of pool noodles going cross cockpit, covered wagon style. Wonder if it worked?

Then you should build a cover for the covers...

IMG_5231 3.jpg

has anyone tried putting some type of drain hole in a sunfish cover over the cockpit so that water would drain into the cockpit and out the drain, instead of using a beach ball or something similar to keep the cover elevated? just had my cover rip because I didn't have it elevated enough over the cockpit and cover filled with water at that point.
It wouldn't be too difficult to install a couple of grommets—discussed here.

I'm liking the idea of the pool noodles, seems like there is less chance of them wearing a hole in the cover.

Back