sunfish cover repair question

barnmom

So the elastic cord that threads through and around the cover has come out. I can't seem to get it to thread back in. Has anyone had this issue and possibly figured out how to do it?

Thanks. Could you please explain in more detail what you did?
My cover & hopefully yours too has access to the sleeve that contains the shock cord in the front of the cover & another access or opening in the back or stern of the cover.
I ran my fish tape in that channel along one side of the cover starting at the back until it came out the front. Now attach your shock cord to the fish tape & use it to pull shock cord through the sleeve to the stern. ( I think I just overlapped shock cord with fish tape about 6-8” & taped with tight,smooth wraps of electrical tape to create a small, smooth connection so it would pass easily through sleeve). Remove tape & shock cord from fish tape. Now run fish tape Through the other sleeve starting at the front of the cover. Now attach the end of shock cord at back to fish tape & pull shock cord to the front of the cover to complete the loop. It will take some time stretching & working the cord through the sleeve but you’ll get it.
good luck,
Tom

My cover & hopefully yours too has access to the sleeve that contains the shock cord in the front of the cover & another access or opening in the back or stern of the cover.
I ran my fish tape in that channel along one side of the cover starting at the back until it came out the front. Now attach your shock cord to the fish tape & use it to pull shock cord through the sleeve to the stern. ( I think I just overlapped shock cord with fish tape about 6-8” & taped with tight,smooth wraps of electrical tape to create a small, smooth connection so it would pass easily through sleeve). Remove tape & shock cord from fish tape. Now run fish tape Through the other sleeve starting at the front of the cover. Now attach the end of shock cord at back to fish tape & pull shock cord to the front of the cover to complete the loop. It will take some time stretching & working the cord through the sleeve but you’ll get it.
good luck,
Tom
Oh I get it. That’s brilliant. Will try to replicate tomorrow and will let you know how I make out.

We have hooked BIG safety pins to the ends of cords and worked them through drawstring pockets. Push the pin a little, then hold it and pull the fabric smooth behind it. Think inchworm.

We have hooked BIG safety pins to the ends of cords and worked them through drawstring pockets. Push the pin a little, then hold it and pull the fabric smooth behind it. Think inchworm.
Thats a good idea also. But we ordered a Fish Tape and when it arrives will try that first. Thank you.

good luck,
Tom
Dear TickTack: you are so clever. We were able to fix cover quickly using your technique. Turns out just one side of elastic was out. Tricky part was getting elastic through the small opening in order to have it not easily slip out again. And of course I tied big knots at end and will check them periodically. Never had fish tape before. Wonder what other future use we may have for it. Anyhow thanks again—much appreciated. -/Barnmom

Dear TickTack: you are so clever. We were able to fix cover quickly using your technique. Turns out just one side of elastic was out. Tricky part was getting elastic through the small opening in order to have it not easily slip out again. And of course I tied big knots at end and will check them periodically. Never had fish tape before. Wonder what other future use we may have for it. Anyhow thanks again—much appreciated. -/Barnmom
Sure, no worries barnmom, I’m very glad It worked out for you!!
Take care,

Funny thing was as I was reading this post I was thinking “fish tape? what’s a fish tape? why not just use wire snake ?”
Apparently they are the same thing.
I should’ve realized as I know what electricians call fish sticks.

Reactions: tag

Back