Sunfish buried in snow? Time to shovel off to avoid damage

minas man

All that extra weight can cause damage if bunks or cradle are not correct and even if they are you should shovel off to prevent damage to hull. We have been getting hammered with storm after storm here in Atlantic Canada
and US north east and another Noreaster is coming this week.
Picture shows my sunfish with 3 feet of ice and snow covering in and here in Nova Scotia had no snow 3 weeks ago.
Minas man

Attachments

• Sunfish covered in snow 001.JPG
    Sunfish covered in snow 001.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Sunfish covered in snow 005.JPG
    Sunfish covered in snow 005.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 58
Yes, get the snow off. Maybe next year, consider the merits of storing the boat deck side down. With the deck up, even with good tarps you will get some water in the cockpit that will freeze/thaw and possible cause a crack in the cockpit tub. Also, it looks like the rudder is still attached with a bag over it. I would recommend that you store the rudder assembly inside to reduce
any problems with the wet and cold. that you get in NS.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I have broken so many rudder pins that I now use a 3/8 SS bolt with a lock nut and have left the rudder on the boat for the past couple of years but before that I would put the rudder in the cockpit. The boat is on the launching dolly and drain plug is open. One year I had very small bunks in the wrong locations and with lots of snow and that caused spider cracks in the gel coat. I did a repair and posted the gel coat fix on the forum. Another storm Noreaster with a foot of snow tonight so I am thinking of under a roof storage for next season. I like the tarp as it makes it easy to get out for that last sail of the season and the first sail of the season.

Minas man

I had an A-frame when the damage was done years ago. The frame is made from 2 inch ABS pipe coming up from the mast step and then teeing off forward and aft and supported in other places along the length of the boat by tee's. The A frame only sheds the water. Next winter I will try to get it under a real roof. Shoveled it off again today along with the shop and sky lights and satellite dish that lost its signal due to being buried.

Minas man

Back