Sunfish Auction

sailcraftri

Cape Cod Sea Camps is selling off by auction everything. There are 21 Sunfish up for auction, fully rigged. The ages range from 2001 to 2017 models. You have to register in order to bid. Bidding is open now but actual auction starts at noon with lot #1. The Sunfish are lots 1085-1105. Inspection was over the weekend. However you were not allowed to lift the boats to inspect weight and they were all tied down to the racks. The rudder assemblies are a mix of wood and fiberglass. All boats come with bow guards thru bolted to the deck lip and keel guards glued to the hull. Bids at this moment are $775 - $1800. This is not an eBay style auction. Lot#1097 has a visible patch and lot 1104 does not have a gudgeon.

There are also Mercury dinghies and MK dinghies up for auction.

Reactions: tag
Also lot #1209 labeled as Sunfish parts consists mostly of rope and a couple of gudgeons. Starting bid of $100 but probably not worth more than $50. Lot #1246 miscellaneous tillers is only a couple of Sunfish tillers and a bunch of non Sunfish tillers.

So my niece ended up buying a Cape Cod 15 from the auction but she didn't realize getting the boat would be so difficult.

The auction house only has specific pickup windows and they aren't open on the weekend. Not only that but she thought she could have a hitch installed on her Audi Q5 but no one is interested in installing one. I guess Audi voids their warranty if you have a hitch installed. She also wanted to buy a boat trailer but there are slim pickings available online.

I've loaned my Sunfish trailer for the removal and another friend has loaned their truck so she's finally going to be able to pick it up.

The boat has sentimental value since it's the same boat she and her husband first met on when they worked there as camp counselors!

Cape Cod Sea Camps is selling off by auction everything. There are 21 Sunfish up for auction, fully rigged. The ages range from 2001 to 2017 models. You have to register in order to bid. Bidding is open now but actual auction starts at noon with lot #1. The Sunfish are lots 1085-1105. Inspection was over the weekend. However you were not allowed to lift the boats to inspect weight and they were all tied down to the racks. The rudder assemblies are a mix of wood and fiberglass. All boats come with bow guards thru bolted to the deck lip and keel guards glued to the hull. Bids at this moment are $775 - $1800. This is not an eBay style auction. Lot#1097 has a visible patch and lot 1104 does not have a gudgeon.

There are also Mercury dinghies and MK dinghies up for auction.

Sounds like its not a true autumn preview if you can't really inspect them. Its just me but I don't believe I would participate in that. Im a hands on see what I'm getting guy.

Danpal, Audi rates the Q5 with towing capacity of 4400#. So whoever told her that is wrong. Dealers are funny about it, and even some mechanics. She can call around and find someone though. They can easily order a hitch and wiring for her car. The Buick dealer didn't want to install a hitch on my new Regal, and my usual mechanic didn't either, so I called around, and now I have a new "usual mechanic"!

Danpal, Audi rates the Q5 with towing capacity of 4400#. So whoever told her that is wrong. Dealers are funny about it, and even some mechanics. She can call around and find someone though. They can easily order a hitch and wiring for her car. The Buick dealer didn't want to install a hitch on my new Regal, and my usual mechanic didn't either, so I called around, and now I have a new "usual mechanic"!
So my niece ended up buying a Cape Cod 15 from the auction but she didn't realize getting the boat would be so difficult.

The auction house only has specific pickup windows and they aren't open on the weekend. Not only that but she thought she could have a hitch installed on her Audi Q5 but no one is interested in installing one. I guess Audi voids their warranty if you have a hitch installed. She also wanted to buy a boat trailer but there are slim pickings available online.

I've loaned my Sunfish trailer for the removal and another friend has loaned their truck so she's finally going to be able to pick it up.

The boat has sentimental value since it's the same boat she and her husband first met on when they worked there as camp counselors!

Unable will install any hitch you want on any vehicle as long as its safe.
Here is just 1 of half dozen brands.

According to its website, U-Haul appears willing (and maybe even eager) to install a hitch on an Audi Q5 as well.

I had ordered a hitch and was having trouble installing. Called U-haul and got in right in and installed it. They have you back your car up a very steep ramp and the can sit and install the hitch.

Thanks for the info about the towing capacity on a Q5. I'll let my niece know. I also spoke to my mechanic and he's installed a few so I think she'll be okay.

Dunno why there's such a problem with hitch installation, it's easy to do... I installed a Curt hitch on my Camry, all it took was loosening a few nuts & bolts, putting them back through the holes (hitch included this time), and tightening them up, aye? Been on there ever since, the 'plug-in' cargo carrier comes in handy when hauling smaller dirt bikes, lol. No reason the niece (or her boyfriend) couldn't install the hitch, it ain't rocket science. The job takes about 40 minutes, maybe a bit more for someone who isn't mechanically inclined, lol. Cheers!!!

I guess the difference is you need to take off the bumper, remove the bumper beam, remove the cross bar above the bumper beam, and cut a notch in the lower part of the fascia without cutting the wiring behind the fascia. I've installed a trailer hitch on a Subaru Forester and it's a piece of cake. An Audi Q5 not so much.

Ah, I see, it's a bit more complicated with that model... I just remember throwin' the Curt hitch on the Camry, and it was easy as could be. Never owned an Audi, though I rode in a few back in my "school daze." I also saw a couple of cool Audis on display when the Red Bull Air Races were held on San Diego Bay, I believe they were the A8 and R8 models? Maybe they were both R8s... very sporty cars, you wouldn't want a tow hitch on them, lol. :confused:

I made a hitch for a BMW 3-series--1990s version. While modifications do have to be made to the bumper, ALL modifications are invisible to the casual viewer.

Now that the 1991 318is is (regretfully) sold, I'll take $125 + shipping.

Back