Sunfish Alternatives?

speedster239

Howdy there,

Every since I sailed my first sunfish a few years back I haven't been able to shake that feeling from my bones. I loved how close she let you get to the water and how I could bring her all the way to the edge, and even at a few points right on over, in such a light breeze.

Regardless, I've reached a point where I'm interested in buying a similar sized boat and I was wondering what kind of similar sunfish alternative (such as the laser) that you small sailing dinghy enthusiasts know about.

I can't spend too much money, so cheap is always better.

All the best,
Vaughan

Ever since I sailed my first sunfish a few years back I haven't been able to shake that feeling from my bones.
. . . I'm interested in buying a similar sized boat and I was wondering what kind of similar sunfish alternative (such as the laser) that you small sailing dinghy enthusiasts know about.

:confused: So, what's wrong with getting another Sunfish? I don't believe there's another personal size boat that's both as easy to sail and as versitile in meeting a broad range of skill levels.

The Laser is a great boat, but designed for a narrower band in the realm of sailing application.

Used Sunfish, ready to sail, can be readily found upwards of $500. Less if you are willing to invest some time looking, or fixing up, or both. Across its 58 year history, Sunfish have never stopped being built so when you are feeling flush, new is also an option.

AMFalcort.jpg

Certainly agree with Wayne on this one. I've sailed many dinghies over the years including both one and two person boats and have become a Sunfish supporter. It's simple, it's forgiving and it's relatively inexpensive. You can buy a new one for $4k or keep watch for a good used one ($2-3k) or get an older classic ($.5-2k) that you can fix up.

And, after you're done you'll have a "real" Sunfish that will maintain value. To paraphrase an old Coca Cola commercial tag-line; "there ain't nothing like the real thing!":D

Excellent comments above.

All I can add is that you are more likely to find a good Sunfish in your price range than a good Laser.

Avoid all "mongrel" imitation Sunfish, they don't hold their value and you will never be able to unload them if you need to sell. Would you ever buy a plastic Porsche Speedster? No. Good way to pick up a good cheap used boat is to run a local ad: "wanted used Sunfish-dead or alive" In this way you will be the only one bidding on the boat vs responding to a Sunfish 4 sale ad. Go for it and get Sunfishing this summer.

Back