Sunfish Adventure

Gloveman

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. However, I have read extensively through the history and am very appreciative of the vast amount information stored here.

At the end of this year, my brother, son and myself will be sailing the Everglades Waterway from Flamingo to Chokoloskee by Sunfish sailboat. They adventure will be about a 100 mile camping trip that takes the average Kayaker about two weeks to complete. I suspect we will be able to do it in about ten days, but we will allow for two weeks just in case we run into trouble.

We have been fishing, camping and enjoying the waterway for over twenty years, we know the landscape, bugs, alligators etc.

We have acquired three boats ranging in manufacture date from 1975 (the best one of the lot) to 1992. Each will be modified to attach a paddle board paddle for days with no wind or for going through the numerous small creeks. We will also put a six inch inspection plate in the bow of each boat for storage and each boat will be set up with a fishing rod holder and a GPS mount.

If the forum is interested in the adventure, I will continue to post the preparation and I intend to document the trip.

Usually, catamarans place very well in those events—making their best with their inherent speed. :cool:

Wondering how the Alcort Catfish catamaran would fare. :D

Too bad we don't have anyone on the forum who would participate in that race. :rolleyes:

Sounds like fun! The only comment I have is I'd put the inspection port between the daggerboard slot and the coaming. There isn't any foam there so you will have lots of room for stuff. The bow area has a lot of foam you'd need to remove. And the bow isn't very deep, so even with the foam gone there will be limited space. Looking forward to the adventure report!

Sounds fun. How about a kayak paddle?

IMG_2123.jpg

Check out the port placement.

Hello Everyone, We have acquired three boats ranging in manufacture date from 1975 (the best one of the lot) to 1992. Each will be modified to attach a paddle board paddle for days with no wind or for going through the numerous small creeks. We will also put a six inch inspection plate in the bow of each boat for storage and each boat will be set up with a fishing rod holder and a GPS mount. If the forum is interested in the adventure, I will continue to post the preparation and I intend to document the trip.
Storage is less of a problem installing "The Ultimate Inspection Port":
Ultimate Inspection Port...

(Or, both a six-inch port plus "The Ultimate Inspection Port").

Thanks for those L&VW. Also don't forget KJ Walker's recent 58 mile trip. I like to see what people do with their boats beyond sailing for a few hours.

Last edited:
...looking at the last few photos, I am having a serious bout of 'shop envy.' Very nice set-up.

I was camping in the Everglades National Park just a few weeks ago, and I understand your liking this area, large, prehistoric reptiles notwithstanding!

Alan Glos

Attachments

• L1040854.JPG
    L1040854.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 47

Back