Sunfish Accent colors

Michael730

Hi, I'm doing some repairs and painting on 'fishes and wondering if anyone has recommendations on the red and blue deck stripes. I found some Interlux medium blue which matches pretty close but their only red is 'fire red', too bright. Then I read some negative comments about interlux brightside not holding up to Florida heat; any comments or reccomendation would be appreciated.

Mike

Interlux holds up fine. You might just use rattle can Rustoleum, lots of colors to choose from or get Valspar Ultra 4000 (enamel) mixed to your custom color.

Other option, precolored gelcoat from Fibreglast, $63/qt.

EB253748-E834-40A8-A2E5-0A590857F70A_1_201_a.jpeg

SC....Ive never ordered from Fibreglast, but I'm not seeing color gelcoat options on their website. Also, have you ever used their clear gel? All thst I've used from other sources, has always "darkened" the underlying colors...if not an amber tint. As you know you can't "feather" gelcoat on a repair by spraying and expect to finish buff. Some difficult colors thst are impossible to match, I'll spray, feather the repair edges, and then finish spray with clear, which can be buffed. Other than glitter/flake finishes, etc...the clear can kinda help save the day.
Btw, there is better pricing at Fiberglass Warehouse, but they don't have some stuff like the foam.

Thx for the link! Generally with gelcoat, you cover to an edge or an entire "piece"....like a Sunfish stripe or splashguard. Eases the color matching immensely, which is 95% of the job.
You can apply it with a toothbrush (joking.....but we've all seen repairs that look like it!), but spraying greatly reduced sanding. If you can keep "orange peel" to a minimum, you'll save most of the finish work. I've gotten pretty good with a PreVal sprayer and have done areas as big as an entire Sunfish deck. Saves cleaning and they're disposable at a couple bucks each. Duratec high gloss additive is a "trade secret" as it eliminates the wax and REALLY levels it out and super gloss. I'll usually sand with 400 grit after spray, and a couple rounds of Aqua Buff 2000 on a rotary buffer and a $35 3M buffing pad will get you pro results with a little experience. ...remember....i said "color matching"!!

mixmkr

Keep the tips coming, and if you have time, take us from Step 1 on how we're going to Prep, Coat and Buff the large section of deck that we replaced. I'll have questions!

Tell us about your spraying rig please, pics if you have them, and where you get materials.
-Preval sprayer? Is there a kit?
-What size gelcoat receptacle
-How much area will a normal size receptacle spray, and is it easy to refill cup and continue spraying larger areas
-Duratec what all does it do
-Any other additives?

Anyone else with gelcoat experience please chime in!

Back