Sun Fish in the Ocean ????

sgtpepperoni00

I am looking to buy a sunfish but i first want to know if a sunfish can handle going in the ocean. I live in california and there are not too many lakes or bays i could take this thing out in. I really only wanna buy it if i can take it out in the ocean anyways. All im looking to do is sail down the coastline. Like right offshore, not like sail the sunfish to mexico or something crazy like that.

Can a sunfish go in the ocean!?!?

also. How many people can you really put on a sunfish? Ive heard 3 people from many places. The manufacturer only says 2 people. 310 pounds. Can the boat really only carry 2? If it can support the weight of 3 people i dont care if theres no room. Does it just say 2 people becuase can only fit 2 people comfortably or could it support the weight of 3 people? (especially in salt water because salt water is more boyoant = can float more weight. Would that be true?)

The Sunfish can go in the ocean. I don't know what your conditions are like, but I've had it in 6ft and 25mph. It's a wild ride. Things can break and you don't want to be lost at sea. Rinse the boat off with fresh water when done to avoid corrosion.

How many people can you put in a sunfish? Rigged and sailing or just piled on, nautical telephone booth style? For me, two is a very uncomfortable fit, three would be ridiculous. Three small people might fit, but why would you want to?

Ok...
But i would mostly be taking it in the ocean. I dont live around any lakes really except for a couple lakes that are atleast an hour away. I live 10 minutes from the beach so that would be much easier. And probably alot more fun than in a little lake. There is bay about 20 minutes from my house. i plan on taking it there to learn and then take it in the ocean..

Sound Good?

The bay sounds good. The ocean...again, it depends on conditions. Now if you were using the buddy system, two Sunfish going out together, that would be a lot safer. But say you're out there alone, you have 5 foot chop, 25 knots off shore, and your rudder splits or your mast comes down. What are you going to do? Will you have a working phone or radio with you? How available is help? Is there a lot of boat traffic in the area to help? In general the boat can handle these conditions, but sometimes things break. By the way, how cold is the water and how will you protect against it? You have to plan on getting wet in the fish. You have to use your own judgment, but you should know the risks.

Sunfish (world) championships are often sailed on ocean waters. But these are experienced sailors and there are rescue boats nearby.

The advice that jpowersny2 gave you is solid. You have to be prepared for something going wrong. Also, when you go out on the ocean, it should be just yourself, unless the water is dead flat. The craziness of loading up the boat with people is fun on a (small) lake when the water is warm and relatively shallow, but shouldn't be done out on the ocean in waves.

Be aware that the open ocean is a lot different from a bay. The ocean has many more large waves and potential danger. Learn in the bay but don't be too confident that you can sail in the ocean. Take it as easy as possible on the ocean before you attempt more wind and waves.
I normally sail on a reservoir but when I was on an ocean bay all my reservoir experience was useless because of the waves. Ocean waves are a totally different ball game.

Fred

Just so you know I have taken my Sunfish out on the ocean three times now. It has been great. I live in MA and take it out off Westport, MA. Gooseberry Island,(near horseneck beach). its about a hour haul to Cuddyhunk Island. but it is open water. Google map it. The only thing about ocean sailing is that the boat is small and the further you get out the more wind you get and the larger the waves. Now the waves dont usually crash but they are rolling sometimes 4ft+ so when your out there you have to make sure your cutting into the waves or you can get knocked over. But the thing about ocean sailing is that its more thrilling You get alot of water thrown at you. and you have to be more aware of the conditions. Good luck and make sure that people are with u on another boat. or that you have a way to signal to someone at the shoreline incase your in trouble.

My problem has always been launching the darn thing in the surf. Once out there you'll be OK if you watch conditions carefully. Very rough waters are no place for a beginner without rescue facilities.

Just got back from a sail on my sunfish ~4-5 miles off coast to an Island, and then back again. Boat performed perfectly over and back. I wouldn't have even considered making the sail however if I did not have a buddy in another boat that could save me if something went wrong (broken master, lost tiller etc..). Being out there alone would have been a bit scary IMO.

I used to sail by Hobbie 14 off shore in Charleston while in college, it was a blast. Just watch the weather and head back to shore before you think the weather starts to turn..its amazing how far from shore you can get while having fun - but then it seems 3X longer going back in bad weather.

stgpepperoni, have you decided weather you are going to pick up a sunfish or not? from some of your other posts it seems we are geographically close, let me know if you do and if you want to go out and sail

I regularly sail a Sunfish in the ocean off the coast of the Caribbean island of Bonaire. However the water is very calm there and we sail between a one mile wide island and the Bonaire shore. If I were you I would look into a West Wight Potter. Not as exciting as a sunfish but it is a small boat designed for the ocean.

stgpepperoni, have you decided weather you are going to pick up a sunfish or not? from some of your other posts it seems we are geographically close, let me know if you do and if you want to go out and sail
yes sir i am very much looking to get a sunfish. My problem right now is finding one and money. i think i will have one in about a month hopefully. Im really hoping

Ocean sailing close to shore is OK as long as you have wind—and the weather otherwise cooperates.

This earlier article here might give some insight when the wind dies by 4PM, and the Coast Guard goes looking for you. Read about it HERE:

PFD a must.

Paddle a must.

Boat in good shape (weatherly, good sail and rings, dependable mast/booms, sturdy rudder and board, good lines)

VHF radio in watertight bag (you can't call that boat that's one mile away on a cell)

Float plan with someone responsible.

Water/Sunblock/Food.

Sail off a (soft) sand beach with wind parallel to the shore if possible. Launching into a sea breeze is tough and getting home in a shore breeze is a pain.

Anchor on 75 to 100 feet of line may save you if you are shallow enough to hold on scope when something breaks and the tide is against you. That lobster pot is not always there!

Know the tide, a flooding tide will tend to bring you closer to shore if everything falls apart. Know the weather. Isolated Thunderstorms mean that you will be isolated when the storm blows over you. Ask other boaters/sailor about weather cues for your area.

Go with a buddy and/or go where there are enough people around to help.

Coasting back to the beach on small waves is a great feeling. Remember that this hull was derived from a Life Guard paddle board.

Don't get in over your head, plan for getting in over your head so when that doesn't happen and nothing breaks, and the weather doesn't bite you-you've had a great day sailing.

I've only sailed in ocean water. Cape cod bay side. Every thing said prior to my post is 100% true. The water currents and wind change daily....even hour to hour. I don't sail far from shore, if i do its in a group.

Can be a whole lotta fun though if you use your head.

Back