Suggestions for what appears to be a cosmetic hull crack

Solid as a rock and smooth as a babys but after som 80 grit sanding.....now what? I need to as SC says protect the fiberglass. Im guessing get so.e white gel coat and try to keep it as smooth as possible flowing out. Then wet sand and wax. Does that sound right Charlie?

Regarding cutting the polyester fiberglass resin harder in half in this Florida sun...I've done that for years to extend the working time. I still have structural transoms in power boats I did like that in operation with no issues 15 years later. So I guess it worked even though I stumbled on doing it out of ignorance. LOL have done it ever since if I needed the time. Btw its still sandable within an hour or so

Attachments

• 20210425_122644.jpg
    20210425_122644.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 34
Nice work! I am not the gelcoat, guy, I am the roll and tip guy. Or the mask-it-off-and spray with $4 can of rattle can Rust-Oleum guy.

Interesting tip on the hardener.

Roll and tip?
Also what color rustolium white product matches most closely to these hulls? Do you have a pic of the can. I may just go with that for expediency. I can always go back. I'm ready to wet this dog...lol

I get stressed out with roll and tip unless I’ve got a good helper. I always use a Wooster shortcut brush (available anywhere) and the Rustoleum Topside (not available for me locally so I buy it on Amazon). It gives great results. You could spray it with Rustoleum too-

Attachments

• FD8DB8F4-7512-45E1-AAFE-B89D9AA7976C.jpeg
    FD8DB8F4-7512-45E1-AAFE-B89D9AA7976C.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks breezy. They have this stuff at my local lowes all colors. I actually used their spar varnish on an old charter boat mahogany trim and it has held up and looks really good. Cheaper than others too. I just used it on my back to wood sunfish parts as well.
I may try spraying some of that at some point. I would like a white hull, white spars and mast white sail and sea foam green deck with white come and cockpit. Saw a brand new center console trimed like that and looked really trim and clean

Satin white if your gelcoat has patina or gloss white if it is very shiny. The rattle can spray for the bottom is a tip we got from Sir Alan for Beach Bangers (his term). KISS Principle again. Scrape it up this season and then decide over the off season if your are Team Boat Show or Team Sailing.

Roll and tip TIPS are to thin the paint, do small sections around 1-2 feet at a time and keep coats thin. The other tip is to sail wooden lapstrake boats, they are easier to roll and tip.

Pettit EZPoxy Sea Foam Green, Rust-Oleum Topside Oyster White and TotalBoat Gleam Satin varnish.

9CA95593-587E-4BAF-BCAC-3F32B2BA3439.jpeg

Back