SUGAR 2 Navy Flight Trainer Tribute

signal charlie

Staff member
We have been wanting to do a tribute paint scheme for the Navy flight trainers, just an excuse to use some bright orange. Found a boat a few weeks back with a lot of repairs and thin gelcoat, so here we go.

Here's Skipper picking up the 1978 AMF boat from Frazer.

IMG_5734.jpg

SUGAR 2 had a lot of leaks and the seam came apart. It had been redone at one point and the adhesive failed. We pulled wet foam out of the stern and repoured foam. New bow handle backer block, cut an inspection port, new halyard cleat backer, took out plastic anchors under the coaming, fixed all the leaks, sanded old paint off of the entire boat, faired old and new repairs and are working on paint now.

IMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5916.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6231.jpg

Blog of SUGAR 2

Otherwise it might be mistaken for a USCG vessel, LOL... well, the hull anyway, not the sail. Nice job!!! My naval/military family would dig it!!! :cool:

You could paint a little line of black dope leaves to signify the number of drug busts made with this boat... perhaps a line of rolled C-notes and glass rockpipes for the cocaine & meth busts, LOL. :eek:

Last edited:
In one picture, you have the Sunfish off the trailer, and hanging at an angle from the pergola above.

Is this the technique to get your new foam "pour" located into the interior—in the right place?

I'm really liking Sunfishes that I see, not painted with factory designs. The wrap around orange is REALLY nice. It'll look extra nice in the water when heeling.

No, that roll is not for a foam pour, good idea though. It is how the Skipper directed me to flip the boat, or move it from finishing dolly to yard dolly, vs the hard way I used to do it.

IMG_6230.jpg

IMG_6232.jpg

SUGAR 2 flip turn over dolly.JPG

Yeah, I don't know if the flat black nose is going to happen...it should, but don't know if I am going to take that leap, I like the lines on it so far...oh what do I know, it will be up to the Skipper.

T34C over CC Bay.jpg

We like different schemes, there are 399,997 white Sunfish out there.

Al and Cortlandt of ALCORT were both in the Army Air Corps, here is the tribute boat we did for that.

Merci after.jpg

Merci after 3.jpg

VF-84 Jolly Rogers

IMG_3280 2.JPG

Wait til you see the Flying Tigers canoe that we are going to do...a variation on Capn Jack's canoe

JDH Canoe 71.JPG

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

Another Gunter rig—this time on a canoe. :cool:

Why didn't Alcort originally start with an 8-foot Gunter rig? :oops:

Replacement masts could'a been shipped by USPS ;) !

Removed cockpit trim with a 1/8 inch drill bit. Kirby White Primer for the deck. Rustoleum gray for the cubby and cockpit walls, Kirby #25 Light Gray for the non skid area.

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

Leaving the AMF Alcort tag is our signature, we got the idea from the Naval Aviation Museum, they leave a few unrestored pieces on some of their aircraft to give the visitor and idea of what the bird looked used to look like.

IMG_6524.JPG

Cheers
"Clark" Kent and Skipper

Maybe a 8in or so, black midline stripe, from the splash guard forward?.... and a 1" black stripe, directly under the trim, on the hull sides...but only in the orange?

We could play with it with tape, but methinks it will start to break up the lines. Sides, well we have a surprise for y'all there.

Clark and Skipper

Mid deck painted with Kirby's Maynard Bray Off White (Maynard is the Technical Editor at WoodenBoat). Rolled with a Mighty Mini roller and tipped with a Corona Deck and Trim brush, recommended by George at George Kirby Jr Paints. If you want a custom color, they are the folks to call. Great customer service. Coaming installed. Nav lights painted. Inspection port fastened with sealant, machine screws to go.

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

Cheers
Kent and Audrey

Yes it is... as a former service member who hails from a large military family, I give it two thumbs up!!! My pop was a submarine commander in the Navy, one brother a CDR in the nuke sub service, but I was in the USA INF... all the same, I believe they and others who served in various branches would dig this little boat. I may not agree with some of these modern wars fought for greed and profit, not principle, but those who serve in the Armed Forces aren't the ones making policy decisions, AYE??? Enough said, cool boat, what's next? How about a Stealth Sunfish??? LOL... :rolleyes:

Back