stuck rudder

Tim D

Just purchased a 1975 Laser. Is there a technique to lift up the rudder? The rudder lift stop is completely out of the way, but the rudder will not come up out of the gudgeons. It refuses to budge, even with considerable force. Any suggestions?

Laser Rudder Head - 85135

Looks like a cotter pin or similar (like that ring/pin tied on with black cord) goes through the upper pin to retain the rudder.

If its been in place a LONG time you may have to glean some corrosion or calcium buildup from the pins for them to slide on through the holes in the gudgeon.

Odd that it rotates but won't lift out. I was going to suggest using heat somehow to see if that would loosen it, but that is a moot point if it rotates.

I haven't seen a rudder with a hole in the pin like in that picture before. Must be something new, so I doubt a '75 vintage Laser would have it. Generally that line is for a retaining pin that keeps the tiller in place.

Might have to unbolt the gudgeons from the hull so you can get it off one at a time.

You'd essentially be getting the hull out of the way so you can work on it.

The biggest problem with this idea is if the backing inside the hull pops loose from the transom. Then you'd need an inspection port in the aft deck to be able to put it back together. I'm not sure what type reinforcement is back there to hold the bolts/screws in the transom.

The biggest problem with this idea is if the backing inside the hull pops loose from the transom. Then you'd need an inspection port in the aft deck to be able to put it back together. I'm not sure what type reinforcement is back there to hold the bolts/screws in the transom.
It's a big piece of wood moulded into the transom from the inside. It definitely won't "pop loose".

I had a similar problem with my Lightning rudder a few years back. The other pintle was slightly bent, so that the rudder was easy to put in place but a pain to get up again. Had to change the fitting. Tim D might have a similar problem. Unscrew the fittings from the transom, check if the pintles are in line, and check the gudgeons, too. In a 1975 boat they're stainless and could be bent as well.

It's a big piece of wood moulded into the transom from the inside. It definitely won't "pop loose".

I had a similar problem with my Lightning rudder a few years back. The other pintle was slightly bent, so that the rudder was easy to put in place but a pain to get up again. Had to change the fitting. Tim D might have a similar problem. Unscrew the fittings from the transom, check if the pintles are in line, and check the gudgeons, too. In a 1975 boat they're stainless and could be bent as well.
This was my first time rigging and sailing this boat. The rudder pins went down into the gudgeon easily. But, now it won't budge. No movement at all, with considerable upward force.

Are you just trying to pull straight up? I find that swinging rudder left to right whilst putting light upward force often helps

Have some decency!!! How would you like it if somebody started yanking parts off your back end?!?!?
The boat is 41 years old!! Have some respect.
Leave the rudder where it belongs and go sailing!!

Back