Stuck Carbon Top Section

Hi - my carbon top section is well and truly stuck inside the bottom section! It has been a tight fit for a while but seems to have gotten progressively tighter each time I rig/ derig.
Possibly a feature of cooler temperatures since summer, or possibly some sort of swelling/ expansion of the mast material/ mast plug.
I would guess specifically the bottom plug of the top section could be the problem as this has become harder and harder to fit into the opening of the bottom section each time of rigging.
For derigging, two or more people twisting the mast sections in opposite directions used to do the job, but alas no more!
Several people with carbon top sections seem to have the same problem separating the two, but mine is totally seized together :(
Would much appreciate any solution to separate the two sections, and if it's not asking too much how to prevent the issue recurring.
Thanks, Rich

"The gooseneck fitting on the mast is very helpful here. rest the mast on a firm fence, wall or other thing with the gooseneck fitting pointing down and with you on the opposite side of the wall/fence/whatever. slide the mast forward so the gooseneck is 8-10 inches from the wall. Pull hard. If it doesn't come apart, repeat. You will make progress and within 2-3 tries it should be free."
(copied from another thread on the subject)

Waggle method? Windsurfers have this problem with two piece masts if sand gets in.
Needs two people. Tie one end of the mast to a solid point. One person pulls on the other end. Second person stands at the joint and waggles the mast up and down a lot.
You might also warm the aluminium with a hot air gun gently.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a go /report back. Several other people having the same problem, and seems to be getting progressively worse. Just wondering if the supplier (laser performance?) have ever commented with an explanation?

Do not heat the mast! If anything make sure it's as cold as you can get it. Heat does swell the black composite material. Mine did the same thing. Started out fine and then got tighter over time until one day it would not separate or even twist. I used the gooseneck down on a fixed wood surface "slam it apart" method. You can also slam it against a cross member on a trailer just make sure to wrap a towel around the cross member first. It took over 10 pulls for me.

The end cap is the issue. Once the sections are apart you'll need to sand down considerably. I used 100 grit sandpaper.

The issue is the new formula of plastic used in the sections. They swell and swell over time. This is accelerated by changing temps. Like Rob said, sand it down. It will eventually swell again but you will buy yourself a couple months of easy use.

The issue is the new formula of plastic used in the sections. They swell and swell over time. This is accelerated by changing temps. Like Rob said, sand it down. It will eventually swell again but you will buy yourself a couple months of easy use.
Spot on. I've had to sand mine multiple times!

Thanks again to everyone. I haven't had a chance to try the techniques just yet.
But I think Rob's "percussive" method looks like the only way to go at this level of stuckness, followed by some vigorous sanding. I'm actually awaiting the arrival of a new bottom plug for the top section, so it will be interesting to compare the diameters of the two. Obviously if the new plug is made from the same material there's not much point swapping it in. But .... I wonder if it would be worth finding a plug from a discarded alloy section and swapping that in instead!!??

We have the same problem. Best method for us is to holdbonnto the top section, slide the gooseneck over sturdy fence or the jetty edge and pull to wack agains the gooseneck. This usually works. I have already sanded down mine three times.

Remove bottom section cap, make 50mm wooden stick at the same lenght as the bottom section and knock it out.

Windsurf Trick: On the top section try to put a windsurf boom (wishbone) or two if necessary for leverage, on the bottom use the gooseneck to keep it from turning.

Pull from the windsurf boom as close to the end as possible for more leverage.

It should work

take a length of line and tie a bowline above the gooseneck. Make sure it is tight lower section and it is long enough to be about two fee past the butt end of the lower section. Then tie the other end of the line to something fixed in the ground like a fence post. Face the butt end of the lower section towards the fence post that you tied the line to. Then pull on the top section. The line will hold the bottom section firm and in place and will not damage you gooseneck. It may take a few trys to get the two sections apart but this method has always worked for me.

Back