Struggling to identify sail number

DoctorClifford

Hi all,
I have acquired a Laser, and need to identify sail number.
It came with a numberless club sail

Foils to rear of cockpit have vanished, just a 'void' market there. Probably heat related in this part of the world.

Hull number stamped into transom is :

GB PSE LS 1667 L506

Struggling to pin it down.
Anyone able to steer me to the right answer?

Thanks!

Doesn't make sense. Could you have the wrong letter somewhere? The last two digits indicate it is a 2006, which would probably be 170000 or 180000 series. I would guess 181667.

Thanks
Went and checked it again.
I have it down right. It didn't make sense against one website I found, hence the query here.

Seller said it was 181667, but wanted to check.

It's in good condition, and I'm not worried about being ripped off or anything, but do wan to be certain of sail no.

Curiously, a Laser Performance Europe went through their records, and claim the sail number is 185261
Who am I to argue!?
Doesn't seem to follow the formula, but then the HIN doesn't either.

It may be that the hull was swapped at time of delivery.

Technically I think the boat will be be class legal with the ISAF plaque missing but at club level you are unlikely to come across a problem.

Take loads of detailed close up pics and tell them - not ask - to sort you out a replacement isaf sticker....oh they won't be able to will they lolz..

At one time, the HIN molded into the transom matched the sail number. At least on my 1993 boat built by Sunfish/Laser the IYRU sticker matches the HIN on the transom. I think that the builders stopped trying to match HIN's to sail numbers/ISAF stickers quite some time ago. I know that my Vanguard Laser built in 2007 did not. The hull was replaced under warranty and while the ISAF sticker on the replacement showed a higher sail number by 175, the HIN was several months older.

One explanation is that sail numbers are assigned world wide, while HIN's are to some degree dictated by the country of origin and/or the country imported into. I am fairly sure that ISAF issues stickers in blocks and the builders may not know what what the next block will be at the time the boats are molded. It is probable that the hulls get built and stacked in the warehouse but the stickers do not get applied until they are pulled for shipping.

In the US, HIN's are usually 12 digits, but you can have an optional 2 digit code for country of origin in front of and separated from the 12 digits for the manufacturer's ID. ISO wants to adopt a 17 digit world wide system which the USCG has been opposing. I suppose the NIH syndrome is the main reason.

Nice buy, I just bought 181432!

i take it mine is a 2005?? what do the rest of the letters number mean?? i've not seen a definitive list for newer boats only old ones....

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 40
GB=Great Britton
PSE= Performance Sailcraft Europe
Everything between the manufacturer's code and the date is left to the manufacturer to decide. There would seem to be an extra character not present in US version HIN's.
Date Code" A=January, B=February etc. So J4 = October of 2004 as the actual mold date with a model year of 2005.

>>Nice buy, I just bought 181432!

i take it mine is a 2005?? what do the rest of the letters number mean?? i've not seen a definitive list for newer boats only old ones....<<

Great Britain ( sorry for being anal but it matters to us =). )
Pse = Northampton, ( G.B )
The American boats are different, like the language - 'just as a matter of national identity ' ....

I stand corrected. Actually I was just reading a series of books about 9th century England. Time of Alfred the Great and the Danish invasions. I think it has my spelling off. Lundene = London; Hamtun = South Hampton; Wiht = The Isle of Wight and so on.

Back