Strava?

Whitecap

Found a fun, easy, and FREE app called Strava. Allows you to track time, distance, and speed. At the end it also posts your track and speed on google maps. (Now I’m going for personal speed records in my Sunfish, as I skip off the surface of the lake, riding on the plane.). Fun stuff! Today’s sail was in winds out of the Southwest 17kts gusting to 22.

Hope this helps someone out there,
Whitecap

Attachments

• D42292C8-01DC-49F4-9498-1240949E8B47.png
    D42292C8-01DC-49F4-9498-1240949E8B47.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 6D5301BA-7F4D-46E0-8C70-42DEA010DBA7.png
    6D5301BA-7F4D-46E0-8C70-42DEA010DBA7.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 54
1) Sounds like a good app, but I don't trust coming back with my expensive Smartphone still in the Sunfish. (I have a half-dozen drowned Olympus VR-series cameras). :( Does someone make an inexpensive miniaturized transmitter to send the data back to the phone—while it's safely tucked away on shore?

2) 'Yer going at the speed of whitecaps. ;)

But I don't think the dog is going to ride with you again. :(

So, I take my smart phone, Bluetooth it to my waterproof speaker (for my music), then I turn on the Strava app. Next, I take my phone and put it in a zip lock sandwich bag, then take that and put it inside a ziplock gallon freezer bag. Next walk out to the boat and put the phone/ziplocks into the fat sack, located in my stern cockpit inspection port.

Music. My app with ground track on google maps. All waterproof. (And yes, ive turtled my boat many times with this set up. The phone stays completely dry and stays with the boat (more importantly, everything makes it home with me).

And no, the dog will never sail with me again...... what a production it was to rig up, in those winds, with that dog yapping at the wind.

Does someone make an inexpensive miniaturized transmitter to send the data back to the phone—while it's safely tucked away on shore?
Kind of, yes. A gps running watch is a 100% waterproof thing that does the same job.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-05-30 23.13.45.png
    Screenshot 2018-05-30 23.13.45.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: tag
if you don't trust the double ziploc bag method, there are many options for small dry-bags for your phone.
they are waterproof, and you can often usually still operate the phone through the plastic sides of the case.

I've had good luck with ones like this from Aquapac.
waterproof phone case - fits iPhone 6 Plus 7 Plus and 8 Plus - Waterproof Cases & Bags by Aquapac

Waterproof-Phone-Case-iPhone-6-Size-Best-Seller-cleaned.jpg

I can usually snap a photo or two, or even shoot a short little video while sailing. I just tie the lanyard portion directly to my life-jacket, and then tuck the phone/pouch in between my chest and the lift jacket. it makes it easy to track a route via a gps app (like strava, or similar), listen to music, or just snap pictures as you're sailing. I got this great picture of one of my sons sailing near me in our Minifish.

Noah minifish - Copy.JPG

Back