Strategies for light conditions

laserxd

When its light air (~2-5kts) with current pushing a big fleet towards the line causing i-flag and sometimes black flag starts, what is your strategy for a good start? (especially when conditions make it hard for the RC to set a square line)

If you are called over on the i-flag or have a bad start, what do you do to recover and how do you find clear air in a big fleet when its light wind and you're behind?

This happens almost ALL the time down here in Florida. I usually try and find a spot on the line thats towards the end of the pack, so not on the wrong side, but not IN the pack where you cant even move. Once the gun goes, I do my own thing, and go as fast as humanly possible :D To recover from being over with an I flag, think of what side of the line you would have liked to start on, then when you round the end, youre already where you want to be!!! Or, if its just too far or too light, go to whatever end has the most pressure, or which is closer. I hope I didnt confuse you much! :D

you must practice downspeed boat maneuvers. IE double tacking, shooting up or sailing backwards to control your position on the line or remain static. With current, you need to know how much and how FAST it is. For example, get a cork, and tie a small weight to the bottom of it with fishing line, and keep it in your life jacket. Or a 3/4 full waterbottle. Throw it overboard before the first start, and start your timer for 1 minute. Check how far the cork has floated and what direction.. assume the cork is heading to weather at 3 boat lengths per minute: You know that with your ability to downspeed maneuver and hold your position static, that you must setup down from the line at 3 boatlengths away prior to the 1 minute sound signal.

I hope this helps

You should definitely determine how the current is affecting your boat. One thing I do is to set up next to the RC and start my watch. I go for 30 seconds with the sail luffing and monitor my drift. This data point (are you drifting over the line and which way - more towards the pin or boat) is super helpful in determining how and where I'll start.

I have been in several big fleet starts where the black flag has gone up because the tide has pushed the fleet over for multiple general recalls. The technique for such a start is to pick an end and start there. Do not start in the middle. Chances are that there will be a large mid line bulge. Another general recall is likely with those receiving a Black Flag Disqualification most probably being identified as starters who are OCS in the middle of the line. The idea is that if you are at an end, boat or pin, you can much easier gauge your distance to the line. The bunch at both ends will end up sitting back from the line as they can be reasonably certain where it is. The bunch in the middle, who will be less certain where the line is, are likely to drift over. Which side to pick is of course a completely different question which can only be answered by yourself when you take into account the factors of the day.

Starting at an end will also give you the best chance for clear air - you will find it easier to tack for clear air when at the boat end. At the Pin end you can foot for clear air and will find that the bad air thins out as boats begin to tack on to port.

Back