Strange noise

mmadge

last couple of days out sailing have heard a loud pinging type noise.Sailing in big waves in cold water.Only occurred a couple of times in two days.Used two different top sections,so it is not that.
Almost sounded like the time I broke my vang tang.Checked every thing over and everything appears good.A little unnerving sound when out on Lake Superior.
Any thoughts what it might be?

last couple of days out sailing have heard a loud pinging type noise.Sailing in big waves in cold water.Only occurred a couple of times in two days.Used two different top sections,so it is not that.
Almost sounded like the time I broke my vang tang.Checked every thing over and everything appears good.A little unnerving sound when out on Lake Superior.
Any thoughts what it might be?
Maybe a little paranoid,but wondering about mast step?Boat is a 2006, mast step has some wear and been kept clean.Also no leaking from mast step.The sound I heart is more like something that would come from metal.

Take the boom and shake it... (tape any known "loose" stuff such as main sheet blocks in place first) Listen for and identify all the sources of rattles.

Not quite as easy... do the same for the mast.

You'll find a couple of other sources of rattles that you missed taping (and tape them then repeat) before you find the unexplained rattle.
Or maybe its just one of the pulleys inside a block rattling due to loading and unloading as you skipped over a wave....

Just systematically go over the boat looking for any possible source of the noise. Its the only way you'll find it.

It will make you feel better to find out what caused it rather than waiting for something to fail.

Take the boom and shake it... (tape any known "loose" stuff such as main sheet blocks in place first) Listen for and identify all the sources of rattles.

Not quite as easy... do the same for the mast.

You'll find a couple of other sources of rattles that you missed taping (and tape them then repeat) before you find the unexplained rattle.
Or maybe its just one of the pulleys inside a block rattling due to loading and unloading as you skipped over a wave....

Just systematically go over the boat looking for any possible source of the noise. Its the only way you'll find it.

It will make you feel better to find out what caused it rather than waiting for something to fail.

Yes thanks for that,that is why I tried a different top section.Wondering if it came from mast step?Probably would have had a leak if it did.
Again the only thing it reminds me of is the noise when I broke my Vang tang.
Like you said really would be nice to know what caused it.

I'll bet it turns out to be a block rattling due to line tension/slack cycle. that would be a non-issue.

I'd be more concerned with a creaking noise.

One time I was crewing on a friend's 470. We heard this loud creak a couple of times. "What was that?!" we asked ourselves, but kept sailing. We finished racing and were reaching back to the club when KA-BAM! - the boom broke in two. Fortunately I wasn't out on the wire at the time.

I'd be more concerned with a creaking noise.

One time I was crewing on a friend's 470. We heard this loud creak a couple of times. "What was that?!" we asked ourselves, but kept sailing. We finished racing and were reaching back to the club when KA-BAM! - the boom broke in two. Fortunately I wasn't out on the wire at the time.
Put a new Vang tang on today,plan on trying it out tomorrow.Old one did not look compromised but it has been on there 10 years.
Checked the boom over and it really showing no signs of stress.

Back