straightening a bent mast?

BLages

Our club has a 14.2 that we use as a recreational daysailer for members. Last fall while sitting on the dock, the boat got knocked over by a wind gust, the mast tip hit the top of a piling, and now we have a bent mast with a crease on one side about 2-3 ft down from the top. Anyone have any suggestions on how, or even whether, we can straighten the mast out? Thanks in advance for your help.

probably not repairable

I have a similar problem (tree branch fell on mine), and called a half dozen dealers/marinas/repair shops. The only one that even thought it MIGHT be fixable said that if its kinked, then it wouldn't be repairable. Sure enough mine is kinked so I am ordering a new one. I'm supposed to have a price quote today or tomorrow and will let you know what they say. The dealer already warned me that its the freight (to Massachusetts) that will hurt the most.

Bent mast

I live in Mass as well, Please share the info when you get it.
BTW: I am in Hingham, where in MA are you?

Littleton

I live in Littleton, but coincidentally its Eastern Yacht Sales in Hingham that I am waiting to hear back from.

Well at least it's not in a very high stress area. Cutting and sleeving would be pointless that high up on the mast and would only make the boat top-heavy, plus it would shorten the mast.

New mast extrusions are not terribly expensive. I would suggest at least considering getting a new one. I just bought one for my Coronado 15, and it cost $258(same section, just a few feet longer). If your club has a budget that allows, buy a new extrusion and put the parts from your old mast on it, properly spacing different metals, etc. Or, buy a whole new mast, but why pay money for good parts that you already have? I'm lucky in that i live only 20 miles from the factory so i can just pick up parts.

Please don't take things so personally,____(I have a name, do you?). There must be something about the way I say things that you do not like as it seems I offend you all the time, or there are some lingering feelings from our strong wind sailing conversation.

"I've seen this on larger boats." Sleeving in my opinion is a last ditch repair that I would consider too much effort considering where it is on the mast. The costs of getting it cut, sleeved, and riveted would surely be close to,if not over 100 bucks(my guess, but it sounds right). If the mast can be bent back without snapping anything, it should be ok structurally since that part of the mast really doesn't experinece loads worth talking about. If we were talking further down the mast, I would agree with you on cyutting and sleeving it as an option to ensure the mast's integrity.

A friend of mine managed to bend his Hunter daysailer's mast well over 45 degrees when it hit a tree branch(yeah...). There had to have been a crease in it. Anyway, he put it in a jig he made and coaxed it back to shape. I've seen the mast myself. No sign that anything ever happened(I learned of this while we were out sailing on it). He must have filled it with sand or something to keep any further creases from appearing during the process.

Anyway, it's not my mast, so it's your club's call, BLages. I think everyone here agrees that a new mast would be the best plan, but it depends on your club's budget.

Finally got it.

well, eastern yacht sales in hingham, ma finally got me my mast (sort of). It accidentally got delivered to another dealer (in Gilford NH, at the southern end on Winnepesaukee). Anyway, I picked it up there yesterday (after 5-6 week lead time), since it was actually only 30 minutes or so farther than going to Hingham for me and a prettier drive. I actually haven't paid for it yet but they had quoted me $529 + shipping, but it got delivered with another boat, so it should be just 529. :rolleyes:

Mast Straightening

Before buying a new mast, it might be worthwhile contacting a machine shop in your area.

As a last ditch effort, you may even try straightening it yourself using a hydraulic jack and some shaped 2x4s for a jig. Insert a steel rod in the luff groove to avoid crushing it. Straighten it methodically, in stages. You'll probably end up with small kinks here and there, but not as bad as you have now.

Good Luck.
-Vin

Back