Storing the boat on the water

Eric VB

This was my first summer with my new to me Sunfish. It was fun but getting in and out of the water where I live is challenging so I would like to keep it in the water at my dock all summer. I'll order a cover to keep the rain out and cover it when I'm gone. Are there any issues/problems with keeping it in the water constantly for 3-4 months? Of course, I'm talking about just the hull - the sail, rudder, tiller and daggerboard would be removed and stored inside. Thanks

If you can, I'd build two small frames out of pipe or similar material to hold the Sunfish hull 6" or so above the water. A friend has a similar setup for a canoe and or paddleboat - a piece of PVC on one of the pipe frames allows the boat to be slid easily up out of the water onto the frames.

A couple similar threads:
and

Thanks for the suggestion and the links to the old posts on the same topic. Seems like it's unanimously a bad idea to leave it in the water. I like the PVC idea

Reactions: tag
I'd use steel or aluminum pipe for the structure - the PVC pipe just slides over one of the horizontal pipes so that the Sunfish hull can "roll" up onto the frame easier. my friend's just look like (2) letter "H" frames in the water.

Problems with storing a boat in the water…gelcoat blisters, water absorption and staining. One way to prevent the first two would be to epoxy coat the hull.

Thanks for the suggestion and the links to the old posts on the same topic. Seems like it's unanimously a bad idea to leave it in the water. I like the PVC idea
On a computer 1700 miles away, I have a picture of a "beach cat" and it's support blown over at a 45° angle. :( Hopefully, your mooring location is a protected one.

I bought a moored 1971 Sunfish that had the bailer professionally removed and sealed smooth, but didn't check it for paint or epoxy. Many paints are definitely blistering hazards. Some caution "not to immerse for more than two hours". (!)

On a lake near me, Sunfish, canoes, and kayaks are routinely moored in an unofficial mooring field next to an official State Park. It's a short "wade" from a blue (rural) road. This lake is not subject to the $50 New Hampshire mooring permits required at larger lakes.

At the least, remove the mast, spars, sail. Sun will wreck the sail. Constant rocking well damage the mast pocket.

I found a couple of used aluminum dock arm braces which just slide on to the dock feet posts. I felt that the boat was a little too heavy for the arms alone to support the boat so I made a couple of support braces out of 2" PVC which support the far ends of the aluminum arms. Bungee cords keep the boat secure to the dock arms. All this just in time to take the dock out for the season:-(

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

Attachments

• PXL_20220920_205708156.jpg
    PXL_20220920_205708156.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20220920_210215486.jpg
    PXL_20220920_210215486.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20220920_205717094.jpg
    PXL_20220920_205717094.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: tag