Storing a Sunfish outside for the winter

Debbie

I've seen different opinions on how to store a Sunfish outdoors. I live in Northern NY so we get a lot of snow in the winter. I've been keeping it uncovered, on it's edge, leaning against a wooden rail or the side of my house so the weight of the snow isn't piling on it, and a piece of wood under the edge so that it is not in direct contact with a frozen ground. Is this correct? I've read you should cover it with a tarp but I've also read that this is a bad idea because condensation can form under the covering.

Snowmelt found its way into my Sunfish's daggerboard trunk. After a freeze, a large section got swollen towards the inside, helping to jam the daggerboard in the trunk. :confused: It also might be leaking. :(

I'd cover the daggerboard trunk as a minimum. Keep the drain on the deck down and open. I'd add a "wick" inside of nylon or cotton line.

Breeze Bender or Bal
Snowmelt found its way into my Sunfish's daggerboard trunk. After a freeze, a large section got swollen towards the inside, helping to jam the daggerboard in the trunk. :confused: It also might be leaking. :(

I'd cover the daggerboard trunk as a minimum. Keep the drain on the deck down and open. I'd add a "wick" inside of nylon or cotton line.
can you explain what you mean with the wick?

Stuff something like a shoelace into the deck drain opening, leaving one end resting on the ground.

Not only will it evaporate liquid condensation from inside the hull, it'll "syphon" the water out as well. :cool:

'Next morning, look for a puddle on the ground!

Back