Storing A Laser

SGTLaser

I'm heading over to the big sandbox for a year, And wanted to know if there was anything special to do to my boat if it's going to sit in the grage for a year. It's in the grage on a trailer, but not covered or anything. Any tips are welcomed.

What kind of trailer? You don't want it sitting on its hull - the weight should be on the gunwales

its on a trailer that just has it resting on two 2x4x5feet how could I shift the weight to the gunwhales?

At a minimum, you should flip the boat upside down so it is resting on the deck and not the hull for the year it will be sitting. In some ways, it might be better to take it off the trailer, and lean it up against the wall on its side, so the weight will all be on the gunnel.

just leave it on the trailer....open inspection port and transom plug to let air through. it will be fine.

Open the inspection port to let it dry out. Yes, upside down on the deck or on its side is better than on the hull. But only if it is dried out inside. My understanding is that the hull is glass and the deck is foam core and the foam is more susceptible to water getting into it than the glass.

If you don't have an inspection port, consider putting one in. Start to finish takes about an hour if you have the time, though sounds like you've got bigger fish to fry.

Just get creative... hang it from a bunch of hooks, make some plywood rails.... whatever. Here is a pic of my trailer with homemade gunwale supports (piece of aluminum pipe with carpet wrapped around it):
DSC02307.jpg

If you leave it on the trailer in the garage, make sure you leave a big sign on it instructing your loved ones not to put anything heavy on it. My father thinks my boat is a set of sawhorses. seriously though, flat surfaces end up with heavy stuff on them.

Back