Storage

cleverknc

I have an older 1994 14’ Laser on a lake in South Carolina. The shoreline is very rocky. I was storing the boat on whips by my dock, but am getting bumbs on the hull. I am older and can’t lift the boat myself. Suggestions on summer storage on the shoreline? On it’s side? On the beach on it’s hull? I admit, I am not sure what to do with this boat so it’s launch-able when the wind comes up-

If you can pull a dolly up onto your shore your could store it that way. A dolly is handy for other purposes, too.

Once u pull the laser out of the water on the dolly via the straps, most Laser Dollies have these knobs that can be flipped up and put under the gunwhales for storage. My dynamic dolly did not have them and I added them. I want to say they are ~$120. It’s not great to keep lasers permanently on the strap. Good luck!

I would just do a quick google search of “laser dolly” and the likes of dynamic, seitech, and some other’s come up. If it’s made for a laser then likely fine. However, i still am a believer the given dolly needs the gunwhale upgrade holders for long time storage to take the load off the strap. Otherwise, you risk damaging the gel coat over time and the entire load on the strap can maybe deform the hull over some serious time. Here’s a link below for the upgrade for the dynamic dolly as an example of one place selling them:

Plz NOTE: if u ever decide to transport a Laser on a dolly that is riding on a trailer . . . those tabs NEED to be down and the boat should be riding on the dolly strap until you get to the given destination. Best,
Mark

Mark, I have an actual trailer that came with my laser, that I will use for winter storage. I plan to use the dolly only for summer storage while I am waiting for wind. My lake really isn’t the best sailing lake ( many days, little wind), but it is where I live. Just want to give my little boat the best storage

Will you please recommend a dolly?

My experience is with a Wheeleez dolly, which has worked well for me. I've used it for about 10 years.

The Wheeleez dolly is a little heavier and more expensive than others that are made specifically for a Laser. I chose it because the very large tires are good for my beach and its adjustability lets me use it for other small boats, etc.

“Best storage” on a dolly . . . Gunwhale upgrade supports. I’d put them up if I was walking away from the laser longer than 1 day. Takes 2 seconds on each side.

Cheers, Mark

Back