Stitching My Torn Racing Sail

L&VW

After last July's microburst—and broken mast—this recreational sailor is about to restitch the three feet of shredded sail along the rear-most part of both spars. (Head- and clew- ends—or foot- and luff- surfaces, where the sail clip grommets are):

1) The sail had already appeared "bloused" in the middle. (Or "blown-out"). Why not overlap and restitch about 2/3rds of both seams to move the draft forward?

2) I have lots of sail-repair tape, but was wondering if I should stitch through the tape, place the tape over the stitching, or do both? The sail has already taken quite a beating from shoreline branches, so there are several repairs using sail tape already on the sail. I'll be using cotton thread for this repair.

3) I'm replacing several grommets at the same time.

This sounds like a fairly ambitious repair, but if the sail is a little "blown" you have nothing to lose by trying to make the repairs yourself. However, your best bet is to get some professional grade white sail repair tape, tape the rip on both sides and then sew around the perimeter of the tapes to strengthen the repair. A zig-zag sewing machine will work but you may have to stop from time to time to wipe the sail repair glue of the needle with rubbing alcohol. Also, use a polyester thread as cotton will rot quickly in the sun and wet. For the grommets, use your white sail repair tape over the damaged grommet holes and overlap an inch or so on each side and top. Then install your new grommets through the tape. Most good hardware stores will sell you a grommet kit with a punch and tool and die to seat the new grommet.

Good luck. Let us know how it worked out.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Well, I finally got around to it, but am stopping-short of machine stitching. Lacking a industrial machine, I could create a "zipper" for a future tearing. :oops:

It's been windy, so the sail tape process has been agonizing. :mad: As it was, I used eight feet of tape for the repair on one side only. (There was inadequate tearing along the foot of the sail to fix its "blown-out" appearance—but this is a "spare", anyway).

This particular 3" tape from West Marine has a glue like "Shoe-Goo", so there are fragments that are unremovable from my workbench! :confused: Although I'm able to repair sewing machines, I don't want to risk getting "Shoe-Goo" in the family's Singer machine. :(

To assure better adhesion, I used a mallet to flatten the tape around the seams and existing stitches. :cool:

I like a nice radius to the ends, so I used a sharp knife and the edge of a bowl to make them. Using a three-inch bowl or glass, I can make circular patches for any future punctures. :)

C:\Users\user\Pictures\2012 Antiques\P1010001.JPG

Back