Still hard to walk 3 days after long regatta

jbd214

My quads are still very sore 3 days after a long regatta. I didn't do a lot of hiking. Most of the day it very light. What can I do in the future to prevent this?

-Do an "active warm up": light run/jog before you head out to get your muscles warm and loose
-when you come in from sailing, take some time to stretch out before you put your boat away
-stretch again when you get home, and again each morning (you should stretch at least once a day regardless, its good for your muscles and blood vessels)
-do some cross training like cycling, mountain biking, swimming, weight training

Answer is somewhat age dependent. If you want to disclose that, you'll get a better answer..
The older folks will find that being all balled up during a light air race demands some stretching between races or even during the race (plenty of opportunities in any light air race) Also helps to pad your knees, and pop some anti-inflammatory before and after sailing (ibprofen works for me)

Hard to beat yoga for stretching, can be lots of inspiration in those classes ;)

I am 41. I have been going to the biking class at the gym for a while. I can do a wall sit for about a minute. So I have been working on my legs but I guess not stretching enough.

A trick that has always worked for me is to put the boat away, than go for a jog, nothing insane just a good 3-4 miles at about a 9min/mile pace, then drink plenty of water (beer). it works for me but I'm ten years younger and I'd venture to guess in better physical shape then most due to my job. Point remains, cool down, drink fluids, and always warm up too.

In light air you are doing lots of squatting. I helps me to stand up to stretch during the race, touch my toes even--to bend back the other way! Also I do squats and cycle about once a week, and I've lost most of any post exercise soreness since I went vegan. Don't know how that works, but it's great. I've got at least 15 years on ya', jbd214.

A trick that has always worked for me is to put the boat away, than go for a jog, nothing insane just a good 3-4 miles at about a 9min/mile pace, then drink plenty of water (beer). it works for me but I'm ten years younger and I'd venture to guess in better physical shape then most due to my job. Point remains, cool down, drink fluids, and always warm up too.

I think for most people, 3-4 miles would be a major ordeal and not a "cool down".

Also,
-don't let yourself get dehydrated while on the water
-drink enough water after sailing and during the week that your urine is nearly clear
-eat/drink hydrolized whey protein approx 20-30 mins after sailing, then 2x a day, do the same for cross training

LaserXD said:
-eat/drink hydrolized whey protein approx 20-30 mins after sailing, then 2x a day, do the same for cross training

There's really no great need to supplement with protein, especially for the stresses of sailing. How'd you come up with 2x/day? Kind of broad, considering each person has a different diet, with different nutritional requirements.

If your legs are sore after sailing/hiking, you'd be very well served to discover self myofascial release and put it to good use.

There's really no great need to supplement with protein, especially for the stresses of sailing. How'd you come up with 2x/day? Kind of broad, considering each person has a different diet, with different nutritional requirements.

If your legs are sore after sailing/hiking, you'd be very well served to discover self myofascial release and put it to good use.

"The use of whey protein as a source of amino acids and its effect on reducing the risks of diseases such as heart disease and cancer is the focus of ongoing research.[3] Whey is an abundant source of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)[16] which are used to fuel working muscles and stimulate protein synthesis.[17] In particular, leucine plays a key role in initiating the transcription pathway that fires up protein synthesis.[18] When leucine is ingested in high amounts, such as with whey protein supplementation, there is greater stimulation of protein synthesis, which may speed recovery and adaptation to stress (exercise)"

Not necessarily 2x as much protein supplement, just 2x a day so your body has a continuous supply.

Excuse me while I eat a piece of meat, a handful of almonds or drink a glassful of milk.

Protein supplementation is grossly overrated and, for the most part, grossly overdone.

I appreciate the Wikipedia copy/paste, though.

Chocolate milk is one of the best recovery drinks there is. It's been proven in trials with cyclists. I use it after cycling training rides. I'm usually not working hard enough on the boat to need it, unless it's full hiking conditions, which are rare around here.

Back