Sticky stuff on sail

I know that this has been discussed in the past but wondering if anybody has heard of new ideas before I start. I have a sail that someone put a big X on with duct tape to identify for race because of lack of numbers. I am about to attempt to remove and am almost sure there will be sticky residue left. I think I will try goo b gone. Will this leave staining or hurt sail? As this is a new sail and I don't want to make it have an early retirement.

There's a product called "goo gone" that's sold in home furnishing stores that is used for removing gumy residues from pricing labels, tape residue, etc. It works great, but I don't know of it's composition. I would suggest that you do a small test spot, no matter what you ultimately decide upon. Better yet, e-mail a couple of sail lofts and see if there is consensus. Regards, John

jwisenb495 said:
I heard that acetone would ruin the sail

Acetone will not harm a dacron sail. You don't want to let it puddle up on the window though,it will make it cloudy.

Ok thanks I did go to the North Sail site and they did say you can use acetone. I will try a small test spot first though and let you know.

OK after 3 1/2 hours I removed all the sticky and I mean sticky from under the duck tape. When peeling back the tape it split, it shredded, it did everything it could to make it impossiable to remove. I used acetone a paint stir stick for scraping and when things got into sicky balls had to use goo gone. It was the biggest mess ever. It was like the tape had melted into the sail. Then I decided best to was with water and detergent. As I was doing this mother decided it would be funny to make it rain. Had to pick up sail and let it dry in the boat house. Moral of this story is never use duct tape unless you are serious and never never leave on very long unless you plan to add to your worst afternoon projects list.

Back