Sticking Furling Jib

prig0026

One problem I've been having every time I go out is that my furling jib does not unfurl all the way and ends up getting stuck. I have to crawl out onto the deck and turn the spool by hand to get it to go. Does anyone else have this problem? Seems to me that it might be because the diameter of the forestay it wraps around is so small and doesn't really provide much torque to smoothly move the spool. Thoughts/ideas?

I'm curious as to what brand name your furling gear is?
Could it be that the bearings are binding and may be in need some maint?
Will it unfurl the rest of the way on wind pressure if you just leave the furling line loose?

what's sticking??

So, you're giving adequate pulling power on a jib sheet and the jib won't unfurl?? But when you turn the drum by hand it will??
What does it feel like, can it turn freely? Can you verify that the line is winding smoothly into the drum? Not easy on the deck of a sailboat on the water, I know.

So far only trouble with my Harken 434 was when I didn't give the furling line a clear path under minimal resistance to wind into the drum. Then it got cranky and all bulloxed up inside.

Rolling out is the easy part for me, just yank the sheets. Furling it back up I have to pull back slightly on the sheets to get it to wind up tight.

furler jambing

Mine works better when the main is sheeted tight enough to harden the forestay and provide better support for the drum.
rre

It turns freely by hand. I do have issues with the line winding up in the spool smoothly, but not sure how to fix it. I believe it is a 1/8" dacron line going into the spool. Is that appropriate?

furling line

Hi prig0026 --
I'm using new 1/8 dacron and it fits fine into the drum, so the diameter s/b correct for the space within to accomodate it. I guess if this were happening to me, I'd recheck everything closely and if I found nothing amiss, I'd raise the mast on land and see if I could repeat the misfire results you've had on the water. Maybe include a line from atop the mast led astern so that I could experiment with tensioning the forestay if necc. since some folks have posted that tighter is better.

Only problem I ever had was when I didn't align the drum so that the line had a clear way in and out. I know Harken recommends a fairlead up close to the drum so that the line is routed perpendicularly from the drum, but I'm okay so far without. When installing my furler, I found the directions online at Harken's site, I bet they're still there.

jim / 1857 / so. fla.

Back