Stern wheels instead of a full dolly?

These aren't commercially available anymore, but do work for pulling the boat over short distances

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
I use my canoe portage dolly that I built from an old baby bike trailer chassis. Amazing the load we put on it. Positioned in the center and the boat becomes weightless. But it would not work for launching but maybe 2-3 times before it seized up. Probably not helpful enough an idea to warrant a photo effort.

Easy enough to build... mine was made from lumber scraps and two wheels off an old handcart. Threaded steel rod for an axle, two pool noodles secured with line across the top... the boat simply rested on the pool noodles and I used balance to keep the wheeling easy. Dolly stored in the trunk when not in use. Very handy for transporting the boat from car to water's edge, and vice versa. Cheers!!!

Not a fan, that's a lot of stress on the gudgeon.
Member baseman has one. At any speed, it's a "rough-rider" over regular asphalt. :(

A better use would be to modify it so it's fully braced against the upper rub-rail, with the gudgeon used only as a guide.

Member baseman has one. At any speed, it's a "rough-rider" over regular asphalt. :(

A better use would be to modify it so it's fully braced against the upper rub-rail, with the gudgeon used only as a guide.
Yes, the yellow one (post #2) does just that.

Must be the Teddy Roosevelt of boat dollies... the "Rough Rider!" :confused:

Weren't there some condoms by that name years ago? Lol... I seem to recall seeing some by that name. Sounded painful, aye? :rolleyes:

Well, I'm off to another graveyard shift, this job is only temporary until I find something better, 10-4? But it IS work, and I need the money... :(

Sleeping during the day like a friggin' vampire doesn't seem to agree with me... maybe my employer can transfer me to day shift, I already asked. :cool:

Otherwise, the first good job that comes along, I drop this one like a bad habit, lol. Cheers!!! ;)

Back