Stern line for a Laser

Saudek

I'm going to be keeping a yet-to-be picked up Laser on an outhaul-type system. Not sure where's best to attach the stern line, which would pull directly back. I'm thinking the strongest part toward the after of the boat is the aft end of the hiking strap. Suggestions?

I would be concerned about chaffe attaching it to the hiking strap. You might consider lengthening your traveller line and attaching your stern retreival line to the traveller block. You could slack the traveler so that the block hung over the stern of the laser when the boat wast stored. The traveler should be plenty strong. When you are ready to sail just pull the traveller back in.

I would not use the gudgeons becasue they are not designed for that kind of load and alignment of the gudgeons is important for proper function of the rudder.

I would be concerned about chaffe attaching it to the hiking strap. You might consider lengthening your traveller line and attaching your stern retreival line to the traveller block. You could slack the traveler so that the block hung over the stern of the laser when the boat wast stored. The traveler should be plenty strong. When you are ready to sail just pull the traveller back in.I would not use the gudgeons becasue they are not designed for that kind of load and alignment of the gudgeons is important for proper function of the rudder.

The traveller fairleads are not thru bolted into the deck, the gudgeons are... which would you choose..

When did they start through bolting the gudgeons; mine are just screwed into the transom...

Mike S

The traveller fairleads are not thru bolted into the deck, the gudgeons are... which would you choose..

Scott,

On my boat, a 1999 vintage, the gudgeons are screwed into the transom with machine screws - but I do not think they go into anything metal.

Two of them loosened up a couple of years ago. I drilled the holes a little larger, and filled them with epoxy resin. Nice and solid now.

Did I miss something?

IMHO thru bolting the gudgeons is well, dumb. One of the things to make steering downwind in a blow a little easier is to make sure you don't have a lot of slop between the rudder and the skipper and the hole in the plastic gudgeons tends to enlarge over time, so either flipping them over or replacing them is something I do every couple of years.. If I have to cut a hole in a perfectly good hull to unbolt them, that would really tick me off..

I've removed them on '04 model - they were still screws into plywood backing ... Seems strange that a builder who is trying to cut costs would go to the trouble to thru bolt them.

Scott, On my boat, a 1999 vintage, the gudgeons are screwed into the transom with machine screws - but I do not think they go into anything metal.Two of them loosened up a couple of years ago. I drilled the holes a little larger, and filled them with epoxy resin. Nice and solid now. Did I miss something?

I'm wrong...but one would assume (never assume anything) the gudgeons would be stronger then the traveller...Either way there is really no "good" way to attach a Laser, fore or aft to a mooring...Keep it on the dock..

if you wanted bow first storage you could keep the bottom section it and take the line through the bow eye first and then tie a bowline ( the knot not the actual bow line) to the mast. It works for sure strength wise, I get towed that way!

ChalmersP

I'm wrong...but one would assume (never assume anything) the gudgeons would be stronger then the traveller...Either way there is really no "good" way to attach a Laser, fore or aft to a mooring...Keep it on the dock..

I did not mean to imply the traveler was strong enough to attach a mooring line....

I agree - keep it on the dock.

if you wanted bow first storage you could keep the bottom section it and take the line through the bow eye first and then tie a bowline ( the knot not the actual bow line) to the mast. It works for sure strength wise, I get towed that way!

ChalmersP

You tow with your tow line just around the mast. It is not wise to tow from the bow eye, or having your tow line go through your bow eye, as it will get ripped out.

sometimes im focusing on hitting the waves correctly, rather than staying behing the tow boat, and if you get a little off course when its only tied to your mast you can flip, which i do quite easily! if you take it THROUGH the bow ey then the boat practically drives itsself!

It shouldn't be an issue if you pay attention and know what your doing, that why I don't go through the boy eye. I've seen bow eyes get ripped out, and it's not pretty, more trouble than its worth, and it makes a heck of a mess. So I would avoid it, but hey, its your boat, and it will be your repair bill.

Sorry for trying to make my idea sound better! i was just giving my oppinion, for now on i think i will only go to the mast!

ChalmersP

I agree with Ross on this one. The bow eye is not meant for towing. I've heard it can rip out, so I've always tied the tow line around the mast.

Good idea!

Although there is nothing wrong with using the bow eye to tie up to a dock when its just floating there, thats perfectly fine.

yea...around the mast is the best option on a laser. I've done it many times and never had an issue.

I've seen people rip out the bow eyes, especially in older hulls, if you're towing definitely tie to the mast

Back