Stern Holes

Blownaway54

Just purchased an 86 Capri 14.2 in marvelous condition. Have yet to sail her but before I do, can someone tell me what the two holes above and to each side of the drain plug in the stern are for? It seams as though water would enter and fill the cockpit!
Thanks!

Attachments

• holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 60
Yep and you'll want to stuff rubber stoppers in those while using the boat to keep water from backing in. Of course leave them out when stored on trailer. Back pitch trailer to keep cockpit drained!

Yep and you'll want to stuff rubber stoppers in those while using the boat to keep water from backing in. Of course leave them out when stored on trailer. Back pitch trailer to keep cockpit drained!
I was told that they are above the water line and to keep them open while using the boat. A bit confusing. I may have to call Catalina and check.

(I literally just double checked we were talking about a Capri 14.2)
The floor of the cockpit is above the water line. Otherwise the centerboard trunk would have water flowing up through it. I have had water come in while putting it on the trailer, but that's about it.
If those holes are letting water while sailing. Move your ballast forward. ;)

Thanks again Karl! I've seen photos of the stern in the water while boat is sailing and the holes are above the water line and open.

Only issue is when you're launching or sitting at the very back of the boat, water comes in, then runs out, leaving the floor wet. I prefer a bone dry cockpit so I plug holes while underway, leaving them open to drain while stored on trailer. The chances of a self bailing incident happening are remote and stoppers are easily popped out as needed. In 5 years of Capri action I have yet to need self bailing!

Back