Stern Cleats

Caerus

I want to add a couple of stern cleats to my Capri 14 ... one to starboard and one to port. I want them for docking and maybe hanging a rope ladder from. I'm thinking about placing them about a foot or so forward of the traveler holes.

My question is this: Anybody have any good suggestions for a backing adapter that would snug up against the bottom of the comming/gunnels (i.e. the outer edge, where the deck sort of curves down and forms an inverted U with the side of the boat). So far I'm using a split 5/16" dowel so the curved end would snug up against the boat while the flat end would receive a SS washer and nut.

Also, how do you spell coming (i.e. the outer edge of a boat)?:rolleyes:

Answers to either question would be appreciated. Thanks!
________
Yamaha FZ750
________
Harley-Davidson FXDB

By virtue of the time that has passed since I originally posted this, I take it then that no one here has installed cleats on their Capri 14. Fair enough.

How about this: What do you do for a swim ladder?
________
hemp

You could create a mold and cast something to fit your backing plate &/or washers exactly. Lots of work,might be fun? I think definetly overkill. I would just use a large fender washer with a 1/4 in hard rubber gasket. Buy a piece of hard rubber a your local hardsware and cut to fit.

Sailorkev

P.S. it's spelled coaming.

re: swim ladder

The handbook available at this site, has suggestion/dimensions for a line tied to your hiking straps with a loop in the end ( bowline, I'd use a buntline hitch)
for your foot to aid in climbing over the transom. There are also swim ladders that will work;available from West Marine/BoatsUS etc. The line does help but your foot wants to go under the boat when you step into it. Hope this helps.

Sailorkev

No Cleats

Havn't seen a C 14 w/cleats. For short term docking parallel to dock you can hook a line around the traveler line at the transom and attach it to the dock. Extra appendages on such a small boat make another place for sheets or other lines to hang up when you least want that to happen. RK

rkrebill:

Thanks for the input. You may be right about the cleats getting in the way, especially during a jibe. I'll have to think on this some more. I need to set up the boat and see how the mainsheet crosses the boat during a jibe. Sounds like the cleats need to be as far back as possible while leaving room for the traveler fittings.
________
GL1200A

sailorkev:

I like your idea about using hard rubber. I'll need to shop around the hardware stores.

I was looking at a "swim ladder" in the West Marine catalog which is basically a molded step on a rope. It's cheap and non permanent but does require a solid fitting to tie it off. Tying it off on the hiking strap is an idea but I was hoping for something near the coaming so I can reach it from the water after a capsize.
________
starcraft 2 replays

Cleats Mounted on Transom

The cleats on my 14.2 are mounted horizontally on both sides of the transom. I keep a dockline tied off to one of the cleats. The line is long enough to accomadate a childs swing seat which I use as a step for reboarding the boat by tieing the line off to the other cleat.

Cheers!!!:)

Sorry for the late response. It's hard to think about boats when it's below freezing outside.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. If I understand correctly, you have them mounted along the length of the transom so they're positioned perpendicular to the length of the boat. So are they screwed in with wood screws (that is, into the boat directly without a nut on the other end)? I was worried that screwing directly into the boat would not be strong enough to hold the weight of a swimmer coming out of the water.

Also, in this position, does it ever snag the main sheet during a jibe.

Thanks!
________
XS750

My Capri has stern cleats installed in the traditional places on the gunwale. Down here a lot of boats are kept tied up on docks on the various lakes so cleats are practically a necessity.

They do snag the traveler on occasion, so if i were racing, I'd probably not want them there.

Thanks! I'm tending to want to put them on the transom somewhere. Maybe on an angle on the inside. This would could create a chaffing problem for long term docking, but I only want them for parking the boat for a couple of hours or so. It'll still spend most of it's time on the trailer.

My only trepidation with mounting them on the transom is that I won't be able to use thru bolts and I'm not sure blind screws would take the weight of a swimmer.
________
Ducati F1

Same with me.

Bill Bain said:
My Capri has stern cleats installed in the traditional places on the gunwale. Down here a lot of boats are kept tied up on docks on the various lakes so cleats are practically a necessity.

They do snag the traveler on occasion, so if i were racing, I'd probably not want them there.

Mine has those as well but it is in storage soI'm not sure how they are attached. The do get tangled on occasion, usually in a low wind when things are dangling anyhow.

Craig Foster

Step

I forgot to mention I use a little step I got from W. Marine. It is tied off to the hiking strap loop. With one hand on the transom from in the water, I can easily reach it. Re-entering the boat this way eases the pain but is not very graceful!

Craig

"It is tied off to the hiking strap loop."

That's a good idea. I wonder why that hadn't occurred to me. As soon as the snow melts, I'll have to study the best arrangement. No reason to drill holes if none are needed.
________
Honda FES125 Pantheon

Caerus said:
I want to add a couple of stern cleats to my Capri 14 ... one to starboard and one to port. I want them for docking and maybe hanging a rope ladder from. I'm thinking about placing them about a foot or so forward of the traveler holes.

My question is this: Anybody have any good suggestions for a backing adapter that would snug up against the bottom of the comming/gunnels (i.e. the outer edge, where the deck sort of curves down and forms an inverted U with the side of the boat). So far I'm using a split 5/16" dowel so the curved end would snug up against the boat while the flat end would receive a SS washer and nut.

Also, how do you spell coming (i.e. the outer edge of a boat)?:rolleyes:

Answers to either question would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you are worried about lines getting snagged on you cleats look at these

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/produc...are&typename=Cleat&headername=Marine+Hardware

Cleats

Try looking at some of the major marine catalogs which cater to fishing boats. They have a small cleat that slips down into a pocket, and makes flush with the deck. This would solve any potential line fouling problems.
These could be placed at the traditional locations in the gunnel.

Yeah, I looked at those flush mounted cleats. They'd be just the trick if only they weren't $62 each. The cleats I had bought for this project cost $3.95 each. I really can't justify the expense.
________
marriage advice

$62 each and they're not exactly light, either. If you're racing, it could make a difference.

They're a neat answer to lines getting caught. I am considering flush cleats for my 33' Dragonfly, especially the bow because they catch my asymmetrical spinnaker sheets. I'll have to cut down on pizza just to justify the extra boat weight.

Steve B.
Capri 14.2k and DF 1000

Be sure to make use of years of archived information by...

using the search button at the top of the window, just under the "Welcome, <username>" banner.

Chances are pretty good that if you have aquestion, someone asked a very similiar one in the past.

If you scroll down a little in the thread at the following link, someone has described how they added cleats to the gunwales.

http://www.capri14.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35&highlight=cleats

Art

This thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd finish it up and let everyone know how I resolved this issue.

My solution to the stern cleat problem was to put one stern cleat on the inside transom under the tiller, just above the screws for the rudder gudgeon. It's perfect right here. I can attach a dock line from either side and it's completely unnoticeable while under way. I can even hang the dock line from the cleat while under way.

Just thought I'd share that.
________
TV Discussion

new post/old question

Howdy,

Don't know if you got around to installing cleats but here is a suggestion.. on my capri I installed cleats on the bow and stern port and starboard sides primarily for launching and docking. What i used was a standard nylon cleat ... I think they are 4" I mounted them on the gunwale like you were planning. I used some scrap teak and cut a 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" pieces ( you could use PT decking or something similar. I drilled the gunwale and then drilled the teak to create a pseudo backing plate. Then I used 1 1/2" stainless machine screws. They have worked well, I actually had a powerboater friend ... (is that a oxymoron) tow me in one day when the wind evaporated and I was stranded in the middle of the lake. I have since installed a motor mount. We hooked a tow line to the bow cleat and it went without a hitch. no pun intended. Someone mentioned that lines can get tangled in these and that is true. I was out on a day with heavy wind ( about 20knots) and the boom traveler snagged on the cleat. I was easing the main to avoid getting knocked down and It wasn't working ie the main wasn't letting out. I just happened to look at the cleat and noticed that the line to the boom was snagged. I un hooked it just in time, i was about 3 sec from capsizing. So lesson learned if you do install cleats it is wise to wrap them with a line or somehow cover up the tines so the boom traveller doesn't snag when you let out the main. Good luck

Jeremy

JSinclair said:
So lesson learned if you do install cleats it is wise to wrap them with a line or somehow cover up the tines so the boom traveller doesn't snag when you let out the main. Good luck

You would think there would be a product on the market for this - a sort of cleat cover. But I've never seen one. Anyone else?

I've seen them. Put a bale over it. Basically a round piece of metal which forms a flattish dome over the cleat. Each end of the bale is fastened to the deck far enough past the cleats so that you still have enough room to pass a line under it to actually be able to use the cleat.

If you don't mind the weight and wallet lightening, there's alway this:

Flush cleat

http://tinyurl.com/2pcmd4

Steve B.

Back