Stepping V15 mast

Markus291

Hello all: I'm stepping the mast of my Vanguard 15 for the first time. Have already seen a live demo but my question concerns whether the mast is usually stepped when the boat is on a travel trailer or can it (should it) be done when the boat is on its beach dolly. Seems that the beach dolly holds things fairly stable but I'd appreciate some feedback from more seasoned V15 owners. Thanx.

I have a C-15 Coronado, a similiar boat. I cannot imagine stepping the mast on a dolly. There are too many places where things could get unstable, causing you to loose your balance with possibly disasterous results. I like the bow eye tied to the trailer, and a good solid bunk system under me so everything sits still. I also use the trailer to secure the mast on my C-15 during the process. I often sail alone, so I tie a line to the jib halyard, and secure the other end of the halyard to the mast. Then loop the line thru the winch on the trailer, as a third hand. Step the mast, pull the line tight while holding the mast in position, and secure the line to a jam cleat. Then I'm comfortable getting off the boat and hooking up the foward stay.

Thanx, Richard ... soon after my post, I determined that the dolly was WAY too precisely balanced to try anything while the boat was on it. I will step the mast when the boat is on the travel trailer. Your input much appreciated .... Markus

Back