Stepping the mast

bluefin

I'm new to this forum and J 24s. Just bought a 2003 J 24 made in Argentina. I've owned many boats but mostly larger than the J 24.

My wife and I plan to sail her on Lake Tahoe and will be splashing her in May.

Just saw a J 24 video where the mast was stepped while on the trailer. Makes sense but just wanted to confirm with you guys if that's the preferred method.

Also, while I have your attention! The boat has an adjustable mast step using a turnbuckle to move the mast fore and aft. I noticed the I beam the mast step sits on has some holes in it presumably to bolt the mast step to the I beam. Is it necessary to bolt the mast step to the I beam? It would appear that the holes don't always align as you make adjustments.

BTW, thanks for this forum. I've already picked up a lot from you guys and I'm sure this much more for me to learn from you.

On the trailer vs in the water: there's not much difference. Whichever is more convenient. On the trailer is nice, because if you drop a tool, pin or ring-ding, you can usually find it. Boat doesn't move around as much too. On the water is nice because if you fall off the boat, it should hurt less.

Yes, you need to bolt the mast step plate to the I beam. You don't want it to move.

Back