Starting a sunfish project

I haven't had the time to look for the float ball yet but I temporarily plugged the bailer hole with epoxy putty so I can take the boat out (weather permitting) before the season is over. I can drill that putty out in a couple minutes. The conduit locknut isn't sufficient (I'll probably need two) to crank down and tighten the bailer against the rubber O-ring.

I put a little yellow paint on the bow so the repair isn't an eyesore and I'll think about doing a refinish/repaint of the hull next year. But I might just sail it as is, because why not? Less than $100 total into the boat but still need to epoxy a metal rod into the rudder.

Thanks for the help with the float ball. I'll see if I can find one.

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 41
"The conduit locknut isn't sufficient (I'll probably need two)".

Try tightening it using a dull chisel and a tack (lightweight) hammer. Maybe use your largest socket?

Try tightening it using a dull chisel and a tack (lightweight) hammer. Maybe use your largest socket?

That's what I did. The locknut is narrow and the thread only goes around one time. It's just a little loose and it's popping off the threads when I try to tap it on tightly. I've got the bailer hole temporarily filled in with epoxy putty so I can take it out sailing as long as I bring a bailing device.

Back