James you did some great work on the Star Dancer. It looks really nice. I have a question relating to the one I just bought the deck forward of the splash coaming seems pretty flexible, the cleat and fairlead are not really affected so probably no big deal, but how is yours? And if it is, does it seem to be a problem under sail?
There were some flexible parts on my boat, most notable being some places on the underside of the hull. The deck fore of the coaming was only slightly flexible and this had no affect on sailing. On a day when someone besides me rigged my boat and sailed (I'm mentioning this, since I can't guarantee the boat was properly rigged in this instance), the pulley through which the halyard is rigged pulled out of the deck. I don't know if the deck being flexible had anything to do with this.
If you have not replaced the pulley (actually refered to as a "block"), you may want to replace it with a fairlead. I say this because of this method on the attached link of using the halyard as a vang to hold the boom down on the mast. Mine has the block too, I think the fairlead is a better idea. The video shows a cleat on the mast. I dont have this, however you can still use the tail to vang the boom by cleating at the deck with a single turn, then back through the fairlead, over the gooseneck and back to the cleat to tie it off. the line passes through the fairlead (block) three times. Maybe I will put a halyard cleat on the mast, to simplify. Seems like a nifty way to rig though. And with the cleat on the mast you can make adjustments to the vang.
James, thank you for chronicling your experiences with your star dancer. We just recently salvaged a star dancer that had been sitting out for the past fifteen years in the Maine woods. We have her scrubbed and (sort of) clean and are fiberglassing some cracks we found. Once that is complete we will be rigging the boat to sail We have two mysteries we are hoping you might help us with:
1) the rudder attachment seems to be just slotting on the two pins in the back. There seems like there are attachment points on the deck for perhaps a line or bungee?
2) rigging the sheet: The boom is completely bare. No pulleys or even holes where hardware used to be. We are wondering how the sheet was attached?
I'm hoping you might be able to describe or photograph the rudder/tiller installation and the main sheet setup for your star dancer? Thanks in advance!
Ps:typing this lakeside on an iPhone. Apologies for any typos/misspells from autocorrect!
The boom goes on the port side of the mast, rigged exactly like a sunfish (google sunfish rigging) through a fairlead in the cap at the top of the mast, then to a faairlead on the deck and tied off at the cleat next to that. The mainsheet rigging at the aft end where the sheet block attaches to the aft deck is the (essentially) the same. I can get a pic of my rudder and post later. It's not original but cut to the same profile (wrong type of wood, its warped), and the hardware is original.
As I learned here, a sail left up in changing winds can circle the halyard around the mast a couple of times, putting a great strain on the fairlead (or block), and possibly can pull it out of the deck.
I am currently far far away from my sailboat and will be for another 9 months due to work, so I can't provide pictures. I can try to answer the two questions. The lower boom of my sailboat has two blocks attached, in a similar fashion to that of a sunfish (You can see an image of the placement of the blocks on any sunfish rigging guide). The sheet on my Star Dancer is attached to a line, attached to the deck on either side of the rudder, at the stern of the boat, and then rigged through the two blocks on the boom. There is no block on the deck the Star Dancer near the daggerboard, and this is the only difference from the sunfish.
As to the question about the rudder plate, the attachment method is simple. The rudder is attached to the boat by two pins on the rudder plate. As shown in this image, there is a line that goes above the tiller, and is marked by bridle http://www.oocities.org/fodellus/images46/sunfishdigram3b.jpg
If you look at the first page of this forum posting, there is an image that shows the bridle and then the two attachment points you mentioned. I don't think there is a use for these.
Although I would like to post pictures, I hope this answers your questions.
I have one, not made by EDO, I have been working fiberglass on it for quite some time over the last two years. It was built by a company in a very small rural Kansas town, not far from Wichita. It had places in the hull which were as thin as 1/16 of an inch. It had large stress cracks all over the deck. Eventually I figured out that the boat was so flexible repairing the cracks would not be a sufficient repair. So, I cut the deck off of it and spent much time adding reinforcement to stiiffen everything. I have a facebook page with an album of photos dedicated to the project, feel free to check out my profile. I think I made the album open to the public. If you cant see it let me know.