Star Dancer clonefish?

emilikins

Maniac
Not many Sunfish seem to pop up in our area (300 mi radius) for sale, but I did see a "StarDancer" clonefish: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/3236994895.html

That's a name I haven't come across before, and the pilot deviates from the Sunfish, plus the boat weighs 140 lbs., and fishes run 115 to 130, right? Tried looking up Edo Western Corp (buyer says that's the manufacturer) and can basically tell they are a business in Salt Lake City. This is what I could find on the StarDancer: Sailboatdata.com and ShortyPen. Not much to go on! I do like the cockpit and storage arrangement more, but that's only total newbie appeal and I have no idea if enhances or hinders the experience. I can see the downside of the wider cockpit, since there's less room for the tushie, but I like the storage in the back.

Anyone hear of a Stardancer? How much does 10 extra pounds affect sailing (I know that's more hauling onto the dolly, righting it after capsize, etc.)? How interchangeable are parts between clonefish and the real thing?

We have a budget & would prefer to stick to the "real thing," because we can look up the best years of quality control, but if our market has a limited inventory, we would consider options with "good" Sunfish clones in good condition. I do wonder about this particular one, if it might be a quick run with the company, so there really wasn't quality investment involved.

Sunfishes run around 130 lbs, so the weight of this clonefish shouldn't be a concern. In fact, the weight appears to be right on spec:
http://www.shortypen.com/sailboat-guide/boat-info/241.php

A Star Dancer (StarDancer?) is clearly different from a Sunfish, but if you just want to sail, it might be fine. If you want to race, I would get the real thing.

It looks like all the pieces are there; just make sure they all fit and inspect the hull carefully for leaks etc.

PS: If you use the Search function, with Stardancer as input, you will find a few prior posts on this forum. You can also try Star Dancer and see what comes up.

I have to say, I like that boat, it seems to have a bit more room in the cockpit, which I would consider a plus. Of course thay are correct that if you are going to race then you need the real deal

Wavedancer, I did do the search and found a thread that no one had replied to awhile back, basically along the lines of "should I buy it or not?" I'm asking about the Star Dancer as well as things to be aware of when it comes to clonefish. :confused: Seems there are a lot of them! This Star Dancer seems to be much less like the Sunfish than other clones.

Cavi, yes, I liked the roomier cockpit, too. My hubby and I doubled up yesterday on a fish (first time seating two) and it took some trial and error to find an efficient way to tack together. We're small, so it was okay, but more room would be nice.

We are nowhere near racing form, and our club is already eying us to join the Snipe team (club races Snipes), but of course, we're not ready for that, either. We're cool learning on a Sunfish for a couple of years and then upgrading (but possibly keeping the fish, too).

I find that the more I do this the more addicted I become, I now own a banshee, a rebel 16 and a macgregor 22 and am buying a sunfish this weekend. I will however get rid of the Rebel. But I would still like a laser, and possibly a hobbie cat 18......Help!!!!

truthfully at my lake the wind seems to hover around 3 to 5mph most of the time, which feels a bit light for my taste, which I guess is a good thing as it will slow me down from buying more boats.....

I like it too—plus, it looks new. ;) A genuine Sunfish at $500 would probably need parts and some work.

If what's being called "storage" is storage—it needs a net over it. :confused: About once a season, I'll get a powerboat wake from behind—over the transom! :eek:

Cavi, we at least don't have the storage space to collect boats. :)

L&VW - It looks new? Hmm, I'll see if I can get the age from the seller. So, in your opinion, is a newer clonefish better than an older, "real deal" SF? That is, if they are in similar condition and come with the same or nearly same amount of gear, rigging, parts, etc. I do know this boat was stored outside, but how isn't clear yet. Did water sit in it a lot? Was it plopped on the ground or supported in any way? If only boats could talk ...

Not many Sunfish seem to pop up in our area (300 mi radius) for sale, but I did see a "StarDancer" clonefish: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/3236994895.html

That's a name I haven't come across before, and the pilot deviates from the Sunfish, plus the boat weighs 140 lbs., and fishes run 115 to 130, right? Tried looking up Edo Western Corp (buyer says that's the manufacturer) and can basically tell they are a business in Salt Lake City. This is what I could find on the StarDancer: Sailboatdata.com and ShortyPen. Not much to go on! I do like the cockpit and storage arrangement more, but that's only total newbie appeal and I have no idea if enhances or hinders the experience. I can see the downside of the wider cockpit, since there's less room for the tushie, but I like the storage in the back.

Anyone hear of a Stardancer? How much does 10 extra pounds affect sailing (I know that's more hauling onto the dolly, righting it after capsize, etc.)? How interchangeable are parts between clonefish and the real thing?

We have a budget & would prefer to stick to the "real thing," because we can look up the best years of quality control, but if our market has a limited inventory, we would consider options with "good" Sunfish clones in good condition. I do wonder about this particular one, if it might be a quick run with the company, so there really wasn't quality investment involved.

I have a Edo Western that I have owned and sailed for 25+ years. Looks just like the one in the pic. Did not know it was called a Star Dancer until I read it here. Every thing is the same as a Sunfish except the nice big cockpit. Rigging is the same as a Fish. We have put 3 in the boat no problem. I made a cover for the storage area to make it water tight. Used a piece of mohognay, routed out a groove for a rubber seal, a couple of aluminium wedge shaped pieces to hook the front clamps on, 2 springs in the bach down to a eye that was already there.

I'm in Nor.Cal.

I see I'm a bit late to post, but in case anyone is still watching this thread I recently got a Star Dancer and found the original flyer for the boat. This wasn't too helpful, but interesting to look at. http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/stardancer.pdf
I recently acquired a Star Dancer and am interested in the original flyer you found. I clicked on the website from your 2013 post and it is no longer there. Can you please send it to me? If you have a photo of your rudder I would appreciate that as well. The person I bought it from said her dad sold them in Kansas and another post mentioned a Kansas manufacturer of the Star Dancer. I'm wondering if there was actually a Kansas manufacturer and if mine was built by them. It does not appear to have the sprayed on interior foam observed by peering in the drain hole and on the stern it has the two attachments for the main sheet cable, but not the other two further back I see on Edo Western Star Dancers. Thank you!

I had a Star Dancer made by Edo Western Corporation and for a short time had a Sunfish at the same time. Physical comparison verified that the hull & rig were identical, only differing in the deck design. Sailing, I found the narrow deck edge harder to sit on if one has a tender tushie, and the rudder attachment design quite different than a SF. I ended up keeping the Sunfish and selling the Stardancer mainly becuz of parts availability and fleet competition potential. By the way, the proper name is Star Dancer, becuz mine had the original decal on it's hull.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • Star Dancer logo.png
    Star Dancer logo.png
    52 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I had a Star Dancer made by Edo Western Corporation and for a short time had a Sunfish at the same time. Physical comparison verified that the hull & rig were identical, only differing in the deck design. Sailing, I found the narrow deck edge harder to sit on if one has a tender tushie, and the rudder attachment design quite different than a SF. I ended up keeping the Sunfish and selling the Stardancer mainly becuz of parts availability and fleet competition potential. By the way, the proper name is Star Dancer, becuz mine had the original decal on it's hull.
Hi Don. I purchased this boat from you! Sailed her about six times last summer and plan to get her on the water many more times this summer! She is still in very good shape! Hope you're doing well, cheers

Hi Don. I purchased this boat from you! Sailed her about six times last summer and plan to get her on the water many more times this summer! She is still in very good shape! Hope you're doing well, cheers

Are you the one currently selling her on FB marketplace? Same photo as above is used in the ad. Want to make sure you are not being used for a scam.

Ironically, I found the ad searching marketplace for sunfishes, then searched this forum for star dancer to learn the difference.

1680406214833.png

Are you the one currently selling her on FB marketplace? Same photo as above is used in the ad. Want to make sure you are not being used for a scam.

Ironically, I found the ad searching marketplace for sunfishes, then searched this forum for star dancer to learn the difference.

View attachment 55223
Yes I am selling her. If you know anyone interested she is still available and comes with a trailer. I moved and don't have room for a boat/trailer. Thank you!

Back