Standard Rig Vs. Radial

JuanCH

HI all, today I went club racing and there was this guy sailing a Standard (he weighs 85 ks) I sail a Radial ( I weigh 67) we both have the same level but I
noticed that sometimes he could sail over me ( greater acceletarion and final speed)
not too much but a little more. Is it because he was on a Standard and I was on a Radial? Thanks!

In the same given wind strength generally a Stanard rig should be quicker than a radial rig when they are sailed by people of the same ability (except when it gets really windy when the radial may have an advantage due to it being easier to handle).

If you were racing as a handicap then as long as you were less than 1 minute behind him you should have beaten him on corrected time (in the UK there is about a minute between the 2 rigs on PN).

If you were racing as a fleet then the only way to overcome this is to sail the same rig as him.

Having said that a good radial sailor will generally be about the same as an average standard sailor. We have some youth sailors at my local club who are looking very promising at the moment and will really mix things up in the standard fleet when they move up.

Back