Stand for hull/deck repair

redshea

Hi All,
I recently acquired a old sunfish; my guess early 70's. It needs work and I've decided it will be a fun winter project. I've cut ports and added a fan to start drying it out. It's well over weight.

Does anybody have ideas/pictures/plans for stands to put my fish on while I work on it? I plan to sand, repair and paint. It will be a long process but I like to bring old stuff back to life.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Shane
Syracuse,NY

Shane,

Two low, well padded sawhorses will work fine.

I live near you and have done many Sunfish restorations. I would love to see your project, and maybe I can help you get it back on the water. E-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Sunfish being what it is I've always used the trailer. Let's me move the
project around. Worst thing that happens is paint on the trailer but the
paint is just rattle can paint so no worries. It's also easy to make a cradle
out of 2X4s and put some caster wheels on it.

Seen "The Rotisserie" principal used in rotating classic—but totally-rusted—automobiles for repair? :cool:

For Sunfish refurbishing, using lag bolts, I secured "retired" firehose across four dock uprights. It made for a soft, yet infinitely-adjustable support. (Important when working with paint, resin, and other "runny" substances).

DSC_6706-001.JPG

Ducking-under was a difficulty, but something designed for easier access would make for a suitable repair mechanism—like "The Rotisserie".

I still have suitable lengths of firehose, but they're too heavy to consider shipping them. :(

Just stumbled on a good picture:

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 9152018 80044 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 9152018 80044 AM.bmp.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 43

Back