Stair climbing good hiking prep?

suthera

Stair climbing is a particularly good way to increase your cardio, but does anyone know if running up and down a large flight of stairs will help develop or condition the muscles used for hiking?

A quick search through this site, and a read of Blackburn’s book, confirms that cycling is one of the best exercises to help hiking endurance. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of cycling and thought that stairs might be a good substitute. A few people claiming to be heavily into fitness have previously posted on here, and I thought they might be able to help.

Cheers,

uh... I would think that stair climbing would be a good trainer for hiking, but I am not sure. Cycling is definately good for that, though.

For the first time in years I've been hitting the gym before the season starts. Running is good for cardio and endurance, but the bike really works my thighs. I'm working my up the sit up ladder on an incline bench and using dumbells for upper body and nautilus, (sp?) form leg curls and more ab work.

To an extent it would help as it would work your quadriceps which you use when hiking, however its not as good as actually sailing or using a hiking bench as this conditions your muscles for isometric contraction which hiking predominately is. (I think this is right.....)
However, any exercise is better than none!
LPW

I used to be a pro bike rider and my legs are the first thing that goes! I reckon those quad curl machines in the gym would be good or alternatively just stick your toes under a radiator or something and do some sit ups.

Hi Suthera,

I climb stairs too and personally I feel that it will help in the areas of endurance and stamina. It definitely helps on hiking especially in long upwind leg in term of these 2 areas. Hiking still needs support from our other muscle groups.

I took part in a 10km run last December and I didn't really practise my run. What I did was climbing the stairs of over 10 floors about 3 times a week. Sometimes, I will increase my speed to train my stamina more. And it does help in my run as I could run non-stop for 10km with the exception of few seconds stopover at drink stop for rehydration.

Stair climbing is something you can do it anytime you want.

So, go for the climb. :) And all the best in your training.

Back